Menu
Russ_W
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Emails to virginmedia.com addresses failing

Emails my company are sending to Virgin.net and Virginmedia.com addresses are failing with the following reason:

[Message Expired] [BAD DOMAIN FLUSH] <banner> failed - 421 4.0.0 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions

We've tried applying a custom throttle on each Virgin domain to the following.

MX Connection = 1
Max Meg Per Connection = 100

however our emails are still failing. 

These are important emails to our customers, such as bills, and is causing a high volume of complaints from customers who are not receiving vital information. 

What is causing these failures please, and how can we ensure our customers are receiving their emails to Virgin addresses? All other valid domains are receiving their emails from us. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails to virginmedia.com addresses failing

Hi Russ_W, 

Welcome to the forums I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails failing. 

Firstly it may be a good idea to take a look at this handy thread Non Delivery of emails to Virgin Customers

If you have tried the advice on this thread please pop a header of one of the failed emails across and we'll be able to take a further look. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Russ_W
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma, 

Thanks for the reply, but this thread seems to be advice for Virgin users to change their settings to help receive emails that are currently being blocked for spam, it doesn't help our issue of "failed - 421 4.0.0 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions". 

I have sent you a private message with the email headers.

Thanks
Russ

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Emma_K

421 too many simultaneous connections suggests that the Virgin mail exchanger is set up either.

1. To allow too few simultaneous connections as a whole.
  2. To allow too few simultaneous connections from a single IP

I don't know what smtp servers are in use on the mail exchangers so it's hard to be definitive about this.

Edit - this is unrelated to the Spam Content found error in the post you linked.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi ravenstar68, 

Thanks I will continue to look into this. I am looking at the headers via PM as well. 

But you have some great insight there and I appreciate it. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Russ_W
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Is there any response to this? We're still seeing high failure rates to Virgin / NTL addresses, meaning our customers are not receiving important communications. 

I see the same issue is being reported in this thread.

Thanks
Russell

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have introduced rate limiting on their Mail Exchangers as an anti spam measure.-- However in my opinion the rate limiting is excessive.  Looking at some of the threads today Virgin are even rate limiting Gmail and kundserver.de servers - which I believe are used by 1&1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This means that anyone using Gmail, Google Apps for work, Google Apps for Education and anyone who uses a 1&1 hosted email service can expect to see emails to ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk, virgin.net AND virginmedia.com addresses can expect to see their emails delayed and possible bounced if the rate limiting causes the outgoing mail to be queued for too long.

I've already said the Spam content filtering is too excessive.  Rather than fix this Virgin have made their anti spam measures even more aggressive, while it may well be having the desired effect of reducing spam.  It is having the undesirable effect of impacting legitimate mail flow.

Ravenstar68

Edit - BTW here's another example of how Virgin's anti spam measures are screwing things up.  Reported in May but I only just found this yesterday.  Because of the area the paper reports for they'd most likely see failures for virginmedia.com and ntlworld.com domains.  But this will also be impacting blueyonder.co.uk and virgin,net email users elsewhere.

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/health/northamptonshire-nhs-governor-says-email-system-prob...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Russ_W, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I haven't heard anything back apologies for this. 

I will pop you a PM with what to do next. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
Russ_W
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I've followed Emma's request by PM, but still no resolution to this problem, Virgin Media are ignoring a widely reported issue and thousands of our customers every week are failing to receive vital information from us. Who can we report this to - Ofcom?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Good luck - I actually tried asking them to look at this myself.

Their response.  Email isn't in their remit.  And this is a communications watchdog!  You can give it a try if you'd like.  See if you have any better joy though.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos