Menu
johnready
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can't send from smtp.ntlworld.com

Hi

For the last couple of weeks I have beem unable to send emails from an imap account using smtp.ntlworld.com.  I have checked the settings (all correct) and re-enterered the password, all to no avail.  I can't send whether from my phone or VM's own webmail.  Any help would be very welcome!

Cheers

Johnny

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't send from smtp.ntlworld.com

@johnready

My reply to you will the last I shall be making for some time on the Forum. This is a fine piece of work you have done. Do not worry about your Apple devices. I am not surprised that your other NTL address is working normally. This is not a issue with your settings. You cannot fix this issue from your end.You and several others are the victims of a server back-end problem at VM which is treating some addresses as either closed/inactive but it only, peculiarly, affects the ending side.  The server response you have posted is conclusive evidence of that. No arguing.

VM will have to investigate. I am referring this thread to the Forum Team members currently involved. They will get back to you in this thread. Keep watching.

Good luck.

@Jen_A  @Nicola_C

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Johnny,

That was good timing! I've just been notified by I.T. that this matter is resolved. You should have no further sending problems from that email address.

Care to re-try and report back?

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What error messages are you seeing? And please read this post. It is hopeless just saying you have checked the settings. We need to know what the settings are to help us diagnose:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Help-the-Community-to-Help-You/td-p/3157325

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
johnready
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard

Thanks for the steer. I am sorry that I was not more specific earlier. The problem is that though I can receive e-mails to the account using webmail, Outlook 2013 and my iPhone,  I cannot send any e-mails from that account.  On my iPhone, the current incoming server settings are:

imap.ntlworld.com

Authentification –password

SSL selected

Port 993.

Again on my iPhone, the current outgoing server settings are:

Primary server – smtp.ntlworld.com

Other server – smtp.virginmedia.com

Username abc.d@ ntlworld.com

Password – correct password

SSL selected

Authentification –password

Port 465

Error message on iPhone is

“Cannot send mail

The username or password for "abc.d@ntlworld.com" is incorrect.”

Error message on Outlook 2013 asks me to input the password for the abc.d@ ntlworld.com account. I have, of course, imported the correct password many times, but without any joy.

Any help would be involved.

Many thanks

Johnny

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Now that is a lot better. Good work. Your settings are OK. We are seeing several examples of this problem. But although the symptoms are the same the underlying cause can vary.

Please follow the guidance given in this sticky for Outlook users and post the result of the final line of the log - we need to see how the SMTP server is responding to a send. You must do this on your PC. You might want to Google a bit to check that the process is the same for Outlook 2013 as for the version described. Basically all versions of Outlook work in the same way - but with occasional detailed differences. I don't use it so I can't advise further.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/32371...

Now there are other things you might want to check relating to your Apple devices. I'd like you to read this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

and satisfy yourself that your Apple devices's settings haven't become "confused".

Bit of work for you here, but it will bring us close to sorting out a solution.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
johnready
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Many thanks for that.  I have checked the way that Outlook 2013 works and it appears to be the same as other versions – so I used the logging option as suggested, and the key  line from the log is:

2016.11.01 13:12:26 SMTP (smtp.ntlworld.com): <rx> 525 Authentication Denied (VM304)

I hope this is what you wanted. Please let me know if not.

I had a go at the steps suggested for getting my Apple device sending again, but those do not appear to have worked.

I should have mentioned that I have another ntlworld account that is working fine - both receive and send.  I have tried replicating all the settings from the working account, but that does not work on either platform.

Regards

Johnny

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johnready

My reply to you will the last I shall be making for some time on the Forum. This is a fine piece of work you have done. Do not worry about your Apple devices. I am not surprised that your other NTL address is working normally. This is not a issue with your settings. You cannot fix this issue from your end.You and several others are the victims of a server back-end problem at VM which is treating some addresses as either closed/inactive but it only, peculiarly, affects the ending side.  The server response you have posted is conclusive evidence of that. No arguing.

VM will have to investigate. I am referring this thread to the Forum Team members currently involved. They will get back to you in this thread. Keep watching.

Good luck.

@Jen_A  @Nicola_C

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Howard for bringing it to our attention and you diagnostic support.

Morning Johnny

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry we took a while getting here but we would like to help. I will send you a forum private message to gather some more information and take it from there. Please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johnny,

Apologies for jumping in on your conversation but Nicola is off this week so I'm keeping an eye on some of her messages for her.
Thanks for sending that information over, I've been able to confirm the SMTP check fails from here. So I've escalated this to our I.T. department, ref: P007604914, and I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.
I also tested the other mailboxes on your account and included all those affected (4 in total) in the fault ticket.

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

CJJE
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not... but although I can see emails waiting for me on webmail, when I try to download them using the Outlook mail reader on my PC I'm getting errors :
Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for  Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I haven't changed any settings, and it is affecting both my PCs and all accounts.

Chris

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not likely to be the same problem at all. Start your own thread please. And don't post personal details

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos