Menu
rspltd
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Apple or virgin quirk

I receive my e mails on an I phone, an I pad, a laptop and a computer. I may look at them on any one of these. I realise that you must place recent: before the e mail address to ensure the mails stay on the server but I have noticed that 'the colon symbol' is not an option on the keyboard offered when composing an e mail. This is easy to work around by pasting in a colon from word or similar. However Apple will not recognise as a a valid e mail an address with a colon in it. I will be contacting Apple but is there any other way I can keep messages on the server without using the recent: route

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apple or virgin quirk

Use IMAP instead of POP3?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And please bear in mind that the use of the word "recent" was a peculiarity of the Google based e-mail platform which VM ceased to use in 2015 when Google unilaterally withdrew its e-mail services for ISP. It has no use or relevance now. If you try to use it you will "mess up".

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Use IMAP instead of POP3?

Actually the opposite is the case as the VM email system ignores delete commands when using POP3.  As Howard says the use of recent: is now redundant and is ignored by the VM servers.

Using IMAP a delete command will delete the email from the server whichever device issues the command.