Menu
MailUser
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Price Increases Looming?

Hi all,

Is there anyone in the know that can tell me, now that Liberty Global have completed their purchase of F1 for the $8B quoted by the BBC, when, as the long suffering customers of VM, will we receive the first of no doubt several above inflation price increases over the coming months to pay for that takeover? 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increases Looming?

any increase is irrelevant to the rate of inflation. virgin are not part of the 550 items that are included when calculating the rate of inflation. in any case they can charge what they want.

as for increases, with bt now charging for bt sports you can bet there will be a charge for that. an of course there will be a general increase later in the year which is normal.
0 Kudos
MailUser
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increases Looming?

I'm no economist and was referring to CPI not RPI and which I believe VM services would be covered under the 700 or so items within the CPI calculations. Happy to be corrected if wrong !

CPI appears to be running at around 1.7% so the normal rises announced by VM will I would fully expect to exceed this figure. See here for ref:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/latest

Yes, VM can charge what they like and its up to the consumer to make the decision stay or go. What riles me is the frequent rises with all the hoo-hah with new services and upgrades being added to my package when I never asked for them nor do I need them.