cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering recorded shows from V6 box after reset

Adam_Maunder
Tuning in

Hi there,

I've just had to do a total reset of my V6 box, after it got stuck in a 'booting up' loop, and I've lost all the shows I had recorded.

Is there any way of retrieving any of them, or are they gone forever?

Thanking you in advance,

Adam x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh! You’ve used the back door factory reset. Yes, that will wipe everything. The likelihood is now that you have a firmware issue, as all the apps have reverted to a the original version the box came with, most of which have been superseded. You will have to ring it in as a fault. The boot loop was more than likely caused by the latest update failing to install.

Unless CS can trigger it to update, you are looking at a box swap.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have chosen the option that deletes all the recordings, then you have basically wiped the hard disk of all its content (equivalent to a factory reset). These recordings are not stored anywhere else. Recordings are only permitted  by the broadcasters for "time-shifting" purposes anyway. The boxes are not designed for archiving.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I didn't 'choose an option', as it were; what I did was follow the advice of another poster on here, which was to switch the box off, hold down the power & plus buttons on the front of the box, and then switch the box back on, while holding said buttons down for 30 secs.

It certainly did the trick as regards restoring functionality, but in the process, all my series links, shows etc have been cleared, and I was just wondering if there was any way of recovering what I had recorded.

Given what you're saying, that may very well not be the case, but I was just curious, anyhow.

It looks like 'restoring functionality' was an overstatement; the telly's all there (all the channels, etc), and some catch-up facilities, but anytime you try & access an outside application (BBC iPlayer, YouTube, etc), you're greeted with a 'Security Error', claiming 'The server could not prove that it is content.dtv.virginmedia.com', and offering me only the options of 'Back to safety', or 'Proceed anyway', neither button of which can be clicked on using the Virgin remote.

I'm aware that other customers seem to have been having the same problem, and that it seems to be an issue with Virgin's servers more than anything else. However, I'm not sure as to how best to proceed, so any advice with be most gratefully received!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh! You’ve used the back door factory reset. Yes, that will wipe everything. The likelihood is now that you have a firmware issue, as all the apps have reverted to a the original version the box came with, most of which have been superseded. You will have to ring it in as a fault. The boot loop was more than likely caused by the latest update failing to install.

Unless CS can trigger it to update, you are looking at a box swap.

Thank you very much for the clarification - glad to know now where I stand, and what to do, so thanks again, much appreciated!

Will get on to Customer Support for a technician to visit.

Adam x