cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to disable SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3

Alan_H
On our wavelength

I've just had a Hub 3 installed, replacing a Super Hub 2ac, to allow connection of my home phone service to the fibre network.

I've been setting things up and find I'm unable to disable SSID Broadcasting the option is greyed out in Hub3 Setting Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Security. Is there something I can change so that I can alter the setting please?

60 REPLIES 60

It would be great if they pull their finger out here. I need to turn on SSID broadcast for both 2.4 and 5Ghz to support modern and older devices. I cannot do this unless both check boxes are modifiable. 

To be honest my Hub 3 experience is quite poor. My WiFi mesh broke so I had to fall back to the Hub's WiFi and so far I've: 

1) A set of password restrictions that mean I can't use my old highly secure password so I've had to reset passwords on all my devices. 

2) A failure to broadcast 2.4GHz SSID which means my printer and Christmas lights can't connect to the network. 

3) A big where if you enter the username and password via keychain (Mac) and then press return it double logs you in, says you are already logged in and won't let you log in again until some timeout. 

The sooner we can get the SSID Broadcast options updatable the better. 

I sorted this out in the end via this extremely user friendly approach. I opened the security settings in my browser. I used the browser's development mode inspector to find the relevant checkboxes int the HTML source. I changed the CSS classes and attributes from (in my case) disabled to enable in the inspector (which has the nice feature of realtime DOM updates). I then had a ticked checkbox where before I didn't. I saved it and it worked. In other words, the fix for the issue is trivial and there's no reason why this couldn't have been a single small patch shipped months ago. TBH I'd do it for free if someone sent me the source. 😉

If you do this you're looking for content in the DIVs named tr_EnableSSIDBroadcastSecurity or tr_DisableSSIDBroadcastSecurity within the (for example) Wifi24GHzSecurity DIV. I'm not going to be more specific because it's probably best you have some tech skills if you're hacking the page DOM to get what you want.

Note: Caveat Emptor. If you brick your Hub I'm not responsible. 

Hi @schnoberts,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you were having issues enabling SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3.

We can understand this is not ideal as it has been ongoing for a while. We are however glad to see you have been able to resolve the issue. Please continue to monitor your service and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Sid72
Joining in

It seems vm still has not fixed this problem as I have the same issue now  and it now a year later !

Hello Sid72.

Sorry you are still having the same issue after year.

I am happy to take a look at this for you.

If you can please explain in a bit more detail what Is happening please, that would be great.

Gareth_L

anakinlai
Joining in

I'm seeking assistance with hiding the SSID on my Hub3 router. Despite my attempts, I haven't been successful in achieving this.Cheers!

Hi @anakinlai 👋

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please could you give us a little more clarity on your request. Are you wanting to remove the password sticker on the Hub or change the password on the Hub to one that you create?

Let us know.

Sabrina

TS2
Tuning in

@Sabrina_B

With respect, there's no point in continually asking for more 'Clarity' from Forum Members about this particular 'unanswered' problem.

The problem is clearly described in the Subject Heading of this particular Forum Query.

That is : * Unable to disable SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3 *

The endless Posts on this will continue Until we are :

1) Told how to do this ( by using the inoperative greyed out tab 'Do Not Show SSID' ) 

2) Told there's been a Software Update to rectify said 'inoperative' tab that is specifically there  to * Disable SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3 * which, at present, Can't Be Used.

( Hence Forum Title Description : Unable to disable SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3 )

If you don't understand what we mean, could you possibly give us more clarity as to the reason why 🙂 Could it be because you don't understand why we would 'NOT' want to  Broadcast our WiFi Router information ?

Let us know.

TS.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Thiers 

No

Point 

In

This 

Option

---------------------------------------------------------------

TS2
Tuning in

@legacy1

It is a 'non functional' option for peeps that want to 'hide' their WiFi HUB information from 'others'.

Since there is a facility to switch off the SSID broadcasting then it should work as it should.

There's no point in recommending the WiFi just be 'switched off' to only use the wired RJ45 connection ( as some peeps do, like myself ) because the WiFi is still required to function - specifically those personal devices that 'already know' the WiFi SSID ( my tablet, my phone - including the devices of certain visitors I have - friends / family ). It's a simple case that what our personal WiFi HUB is named and whether it's on or off is no business of the many 'strangers' surrounding its broadcasting range. There's no need for devices to 'search' for a personal WiFi by SSID name if it already knows to connect 'when within range' to that WiFi that is on.

If it's a case of not understanding why peeps do not want that broadcasting info transmitted to unknown peeps within the Hubs range then that isn't a Technical issue..

What is possible is that Virgin may actually 'want to' broadcast our Hub SSID to all those in Range whether we like it or not.....so quite possibly just an 'Advertising' ploy " There's more Virgin than BT, Sky etc..." showing up when devices search for SSID's.

Maybe, maybe not.

It still remains, there's a 'switch' to 'hide' the Hubs name....but the switch don't work.