cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Email - F010762348

ModTeam

Resolved

Hi,

We are aware that some customers are experiencing issues with their email service and are very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. Our teams are working flat out to fully restore all emails as soon as possible.

ModTeam

Update 13/07/23 - This has now been resolved. If you are still having issues, please make your own separate post giving as much detail as possible.

3,132 REPLIES 3,132

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ts1wk wrote:

The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider.

External email is only aggregated when you are logged into Webmail.

Can someone please help or advise?

The first thing to say is that the "External email is only aggregated when you are logged into Webmail" statement is not an error message . It is a permanent fixture on that page.  It's not worded very well but it refers to the Unified Mail option in Webmail.

Unified Mail allows webmail to act as an email client / app (such as Microsoft's Mail and Outlook or an email app on your phone).  That means that you manage a number of different VM or non VM email accounts in a  single webmail account. 

I have never seen an official explanation  of what "External email is only aggregated when you are logged into Webmail." is supposed to mean.  However, my assumption has always been that the emails from the various email accounts that have added to the Unified Mail option are just being aggregated when viewed in the webmail account.

The real error message is:

"The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider."

That means that there is either:

• still an issue with that affected VM email account so it is not yet available via the VM IMAP servers or,
  • there is an issue with the password so that may need resetting, See the end of this post for details of how to do that.

If it is a password issue then once you have reset the password by logging into the My Virgin Media account for that email account you will then have to update the password in the webmail account settings. That's in the Edit option to the right of the affected email account

Unified mail.png

If it is a password issue then once you have reset the password by logging into the My Virgin Media account for that email account you will then have to update the password in the webmail account settings.

Coenoby

To reset an email account password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.
Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then click on  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

Note that there is now also another step needed if you are getting the error message referred to in this thread.
Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients  including any VM email accounts you have added to your VM Webmail account.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the "Edit " option to the right of the email address in the screen image above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BaH
On our wavelength

I tried that too with blueyonder.co.uk in Outlook and it wouldn't accept it

2-4-1
On our wavelength

Still no historic emails or folders restored. It's now more than a little frustrating. I had very important emails saved in my folders, which have now been missing since the issue (security breach in my opinion) first occurred!

BaH
On our wavelength

You can create .pst files for backup, these are saved in Documents in an Outlook folder (at least on my system) and as far as I know are included in backup. In Outlook it is file, open&export, import/export, export to a file. There is no way I know of to automate this and some folk simply create a new .pst file every day so that email is backed up daily, or however often they want.  But, if you open the .pst file in Outlook, you can set up a rule to copy incoming mail to the .pst file, this will work so long as the .pst file is open in Outlook.

Intermittent, that's a joke. I cannot access my secondary email at all for 24hrs now. complete joke

morz1975
Joining in

Hi.

I am really hoping this gets sorted soon as my email account is currently at its quota and without being able to access historic emails, I am unable to delete and clear any of the space.  I haven't had any emails since the 16th June and I am missing out on so much. I also know this isn't related to the outage as I am getting emails on my other email account. I know you say that you are working flat out but please try harder.  Any chance of providing a timescale for the fix ?

Morz1975

Im getting the same. it's pissing me off as I am expecting important emails but not been able to access my secondery email for 24hrs hoursa now. so still not fixed. I deleted the account & tried re-adding it again. won't even let me do that now. Come on virgin. what am I paying for?

Won't even let me reset password & why the hell should I anyway

Enduser
Fibre optic

I have three email accounts and I cannot see/get folders in one of the accounts using webmail.  Can anyone suggest the reason why ?

jaigee
On our wavelength

I think it is time that the press was informed about this debacle, it seems the only thing that gets Virgin moving.