cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email address hacked

Joining in

Hi, my primary email address of username@blueyonder.co.uk was hacked not long after I received an extortion email a week ago telling me to pay up to avoid compromising photos of me being distributed to my accounts. Worryingly, the email included the genuine password for my email account. I've changed My Virgin Media password and the password for the client app I normally use to access my emails. I'm not sure if this change feeds through to my webmail password. The Virgin Media site says it doesn't but an agent says it does. 

My hacked email has been used to access my Etsy and Ebay accounts - I've arranged for these to be closed. I've also set up active forwarding on my username@blueyonder.co.uk account but some has used it to access my Shopify account. I've now closed it. So my email address is floating about on the internet ripe for misuse. 

Ideally I would like to delete my blueyonder email address but I understand I can only do this if I cancel all my Virgin Media services. Is there no way of replacing it with a virginmedia.com address? Also, how can I be sure the blueyonder.co.uk webmail address has been changed and so avoid it being hacked again?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Changing your password for My Virgin Media should allow you to sign in via webmail, for any email clients you would need to set up an app password. Details of which can be found here under 'Setting your app password to use an Email app'

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @1043590,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear of the issues you have faced with regards to your email account we wouldn't be able to delete the account until the account is closed off as stated already, with the security of it, a password reset should work perfectly fine and allow this to be safe, however you may still wish to report this here.

Joe

Many thanks Joseph for your reply. Can I check one thing - I changed the password for My Virgin Media account (which I sign in with a Google Mail account) when I discovered my blueyonder email address had been hacked. I remember reading somewhere on virginmedia.com that changing the password on My Virgin Media account doesn't feed through to my webmail address but an agent told me that it does. I think the agent may be right because I can log into the blueyonder account once signed into my Virgin Media account.  I've since set up automatic forwarding on my blueyonder account to my Gmail account which is very helpful! 

Changing your password for My Virgin Media should allow you to sign in via webmail, for any email clients you would need to set up an app password. Details of which can be found here under 'Setting your app password to use an Email app'

Alex_Rm