cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I have ftth but not seeing 2gig option.

smithy01793
On our wavelength

So I have ftth it was installed just before the hub5x was deployed. I was told to request one when they come out as I am on the ftth network

Cheers Tom. 

29 REPLIES 29

smithy01793
On our wavelength

Hay guys the fiber cable goes in to an attenuator that then has the screw connector to fit the hub5. It's just odd as I was told buy the installer that I could get a hub5x when they came out as he had to use a hub5 as that's all they had so there for using the anteater to make it work for the time being. But if I am on the older network then I was told the wrong thing

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your on the older network if you have a hub5 you can't get 2gig

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smithy01793 wrote:

Hay guys the fiber cable goes in to an attenuator that then has the screw connector to fit the hub5. It's just odd as I was told buy the installer that I could get a hub5x when they came out as he had to use a hub5 as that's all they had so there for using the anteater to make it work for the time being. But if I am on the older network then I was told the wrong thing

You wouldn't need an attenuator on an RFoG installation, so you are actually on a legacy HFC installation which is 100% coax to the street fibre node. The outside boxes on RFoG require a power supply from inside the house to convert the fibre to coax.

Left HFC. Right RFoG.Left HFC. Right RFoG.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you do have fibre to your home then it goes to an ONT - not attenuator - from which a coaxial cable goes to the hub 5. You have to supply power to an ONT, but if there is no power requirement then you are on the the old-fashioned HFC network.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hay guys it loos like I don't have any of that the fiber wire is in the street right through to my router directly 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Fibre to the hub means that it's a hub 5X. Post some photos of what you have.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which hub do you have @smithy01793 

hub 4.jpghub5x.jpgHub 5.JPG

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hay thanks 4 your response. 

I have a small ish white box next to my router that seems to take the fiber optical wire and change it to a slightly thicker cable but not like the old thicker coax with a screw end on it because the end of it has a push in style end on it that goes to a - 10 + a - 6 attenuator that is screwed in to the hub. 

Attenuator may be the wrong term for it.

Anyway it definitely goes in to a hub5

The bottom one bud