cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I have ftth but not seeing 2gig option.

smithy01793
On our wavelength

So I have ftth it was installed just before the hub5x was deployed. I was told to request one when they come out as I am on the ftth network

Cheers Tom. 

26 REPLIES 26

smithy01793
On our wavelength

So I am a fttp customer with 1gig service but I don't have the 2gig option to upgrade 

Hi @smithy01793, thank you for your post. 

Information on the rollout of Gig2 can be found in this thread here

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel. 

So this confirms what I have all ready and what I asked. 

It states people on the full fiber network will be able to opt for the speed upgrade. 

I am in the full fiber network ie fttp. 

But I am not seeing the opportunity to upgrade 

Regards Tom 

Sorry I am in ftth. I have full fiber optic cable in my house right to the router with a small converter on the fiber cable to coax as the hub5x was not out when they did the ftth install. 

I was told when the hub5x comes out I should request one as I am the ftth network. 

Cheers Tom

Can you please sort this for me. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @smithy01793 thanks for your reply - please let me look into this for you.

Please expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Client62
Legend

"a small converter on the fiber cable to coax as the hub5x was not out"

This reads like a good description of a more recent RFoG DOCSIS installation.   

VM publicity material does say 2Gig services are to be offered via XGS-PON.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Gig2 is only available on the nexfibre network. It will become available on VM's network but there is no timetable yet.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smithy01793 wrote:

So I am a fttp customer with 1gig service but I don't have the 2gig option to upgrade 

If you don’t have a Hub5x then you are in an RFoG area that runs on the older DOCSIS internet type services. The Hub5x is XGS-PON only, so will not work on these networks until they are migrated to XGS-PON operation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hay guys the fiber cable goes in to an attenuator that then has the screw connector to fit the hub5. 

It's just odd as I was told buy the installer that I could get a hub5x when they came out as he had to use a hub5 as that's all they had so there for using the anteater to make it work for the time being. 

But if I am on the older network then I was told the wrong thing