cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where have all the features gone?

DumpyTruck
Joining in

Hello
I have just updated to 360 and I am surprised at how many great features don't appear to be in 360 that were in V6 (this wasn't mentioned in the advertising) or am I missing something?

* No manage series links (if there is no recorded episode you can't see the link)
* No pause TV whilst in menu
* No "Upcoming episodes"
* No customisation on guide (show/hide logos etc)
* Limited sorting and filtering options (no sort by series)
* Limited recording options (can't ignore streaming)
* Limited Search options (you can no longer bring up an actor profile)
* No stop button
* Clunky interface (instead of pushing one button I have to push 5 instead or press the mic button and whisper into it trying not to wake my baby up and hope it understands)

There are some good features like pooling the recordings from multiple boxes in one place and having source and tv power on one remote but overall this seems a massive step backwards.

The hype about personalised logins is a massive let down. You expect me to sit there and manually add in the channels I watch? I didn't think anyone watched TV like that anymore: dogmatically sticking to a few channels.

Is 360 still in development, perhaps this is an early access stage?

5 REPLIES 5

Tavis75
Super solver

There are a great many missing features compared to the V6\TiVo boxes, a number of which are TiVo patents so unlikely to ever appear, also the 360 box has been out for several years now and in use in other countries for some time before that, so don't expect any great changes. The pooling of recordings is actually something I see complained about quite a lot, rather than being a benefit, as in a house hold with multiple people with their own boxes (i.e. parents and older children) it means that everyone's recordings get mixed in together, and also if one person deletes a recording it's gone for everyone (and can't be recovered because there is no undelete option), so you need to be very careful if different people are watching the same program. I would have thought the profiles would have been used to control this, everyone having their own list of recordings and programs only being fully deleted when everyone deleted their copy, but it seems profiles are really just for targeted advertising.

Some of the other missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Also, extra boxes do not have their own hard disks or tuners (unless converted from a V6 box), so you lose storage space and recording ability and are also reliant on the main box being on to watch and set recordings and also on having a decent wi-fi signal (or ethernet cable) between the two boxes when watching recordings.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regardless of what marketing terms are given to a migration from TiVo/V6 > TV360, it is completely different software in much the same way as Apple & Android are different.

The features you've highlighted are some of the differences. TV360 became VM's only box for new customers when TiVo/V6 was ringfenced a few years back. Voluntary migrations have been available ever since.

TV360 is fundamentally designed for the OnDemand world first, rather than being developed in an age of recording first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thrice
Fibre optic

I would also add that the 360 is designed around voice control. When this is used, it makes the interface much quicker, easier and useful. It took me a while to get used to this feature, but I use it all the time now.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DumpyTruck wrote:

Is 360 still in development, perhaps this is an early access stage?

1) Horizon (that drives V360) has been around since 2012, it is now in its 4th generation, with a 5th in roll out.

2) It’s the property of VMs parent company, a far bigger international cable operator. This makes the likelihood of changes even smaller.

https://www.libertyglobal.com/blog/celebrating-innovation-with-our-horizon-entertainment-platform/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you are deaf your speach if you are able to, is not going to be recognised. Also it can't recognise a strong accent.