cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream Box - Not starting and Purple Light

Millard2023
Tuning in

I had Virgin broadband installed on the 22/05/23 and also received a Virgin Stream box. 

I was not supplied with any manuals/instructions by the engineer, but having followed the instructions online I cannot get the Stream box to work.

The box starts up with an orange light and I receive the welcome message on screen, the screen then goes black and the light on the box goes solid purple. The light then stays purple and the TV doesn't recognise anything connected by HDMI until I restart the Stream box and the process repeats. 

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I spent over 1 hour on the phone with 8 people across; Multi Skill Staff, Pre Install Enginners, Retention, Faults and several other teams and no one was able to tell me what was wrong with the device or how to fix it. 

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Millard2023 

I haven't heard of the purple light before but there have been a number of Stream boxes sent out with faulty power leads. Do you have a spare usb power lead you can try?

Some people have also found that they can connect by unplugging the USB from the back of the box and then holding the power button on the front of the box while  plugging the USB back in. (Keep hold of the power button while doing this)

Keep holding the power button in when the Welcome screen appears for 5 seconds and then let go. 

A menu will appear. Now tap the power button to select which reset option (hard or soft) you prefer. I would try the soft reset option first, and if that fails try the hard reset.

Then hold the power button again for 5 seconds on the one selected option to reset it.  (It may also perform an update)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @newapollo,

Unfortunately these methods have been unsuccessful and the device no longer comes up with the welcome message at all.

If I unplug the device from power and plug it back in holding the power button I get a flashing orange light for a while, then a while later it goes solid orange, then white, then purple.

Hi @Millard2023 👋 Thank you for your posts and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're really sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your Stream box 😔

How have things been since you last posted? We may need to look into sending out a new box.

Thank you for your support @newapollo 👍

Regards,
Daniel

Leamck28
Joining in

Hi did you ever get this resolved as I gave the exact same issue 😏

Hey Leamck28,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your stream box, I have been able to locate you on our system and can see that you have spoken to the team to arrange a new box be sent out to you. Please let us know how it goes, when you receive the box. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

I did, it actually just took 1-2 working days for the box to start working. I did phone on multiple occasions at the time but do not recommend that as it was several hours and ended up just working the next morning.

If you've just got it, I recommend waiting a day 1st, if it's still and issue then probably contact again.