cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird packet loss issue 10am and 4pm

Etherstream
Joining in

Anyone else getting high packet loss for about 1-4 minutes in the download direction at 10am and 4pm? I'm getting 40-50% packet loss on my broadband at these times daily and it basically kills the quality on video calls. Anyone else?

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

To see if this packet loss is a VM network or a MS Teams etc issue try the test below...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats for Packet Loss / Jitter / Latency / Upstream.

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I know the packet loss is in the download direction as I have ThousandEyes running on my laptop and this would see outbound packet loss as I’m monitoring the connectivity to my VC provider. The fact it happens at the same time of day exactly suggests VM are doing something in the network. Maybe turning on traffic shaping or re-routing to different peering points. Either way it’s massively disrupting.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

can we look at it on a BQM...

Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Etherstream 👋,
Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to hear you have been having some packet loss issues. We can see you have not rebooted in 215 days, could you please do a reboot and see if this improves for you. 
Thanks,
Zoie

Etherstream
Joining in

I tried the various network quality testers people suggested but none of them worked on my setup (maybe because I use my VMB modem as a bridge to another dedicated router). You can see the packet loss here in the report from the router itself. You can see the spikes at 4pm and 10am where packet loss gets to 10%+ and latency ramps up which starts affecting video calls. Also seems to be at 10pm, but luckily I've finished work by then!
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 11.14.55.png

Given the precise timing of the problem and the fact it happens every day, this has to be due to something happening in the network.

Hi Etherstream, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. We can see the hub has since been rebooted, so thanks for doing that. 

After running some further checks, we have identified a connectivity issue that would cause performance related issues with your connection. This issue is impacting at least 25% of the customers in the area. We've automatically raised the issue to our network teams who will investigate and fix the fault in the area. 

Once we have more information on this, we will let you know. 

Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs