cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upgraded to 1Gb but getting 500mb speeds

McTabish
Joining in

I am having the same issue. I was on 500mbps before, and used to get around 450mbps. I cancelled my contract and just before my Sky install I was offered 1000mbps to stay with Virgin... I stayed and got the new hub... but I am still getting only around 200-450mpbs. Its as if the new speeds have not been activated as its literally no different and was the only reason I stayed and didn't just move to Sky and have cheaper 500mpbs with them. Lucky I am in my 14 days still so I might just cancel and still move to Sky anyway if its not resolved.

64 REPLIES 64

McTabish
Joining in
Can someone give me some support too? I have called and entered dead end after dead end in the menus, there is no help online, the WhatsApp message said to phone and the chat feature just kicks you out after 2 minutes saying its too busy. Not exactly worth £100 per month!

Stobbsy74
Superfast

@McTabish wrote:

I am having the same issue. I was on 500mbps before, and used to get around 450mbps. I cancelled my contract and just before my Sky install I was offered 1000mbps to stay with Virgin... I stayed and got the new hub... but I am still getting only around 200-450mpbs. Its as if the new speeds have not been activated as its literally no different and was the only reason I stayed and didn't just move to Sky and have cheaper 500mpbs with them. Lucky I am in my 14 days still so I might just cancel and still move to Sky anyway if its not resolved.

Are the speeds you have got over wifi or ethernet? 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

also post the info from the config page

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I suspect you are in the same boat as myself. The new router has the 600Mb config instead of the 1Gb and hasn't been upgraded yet. I guess a frustrating call to "customer services" may be required.

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

This is what the downstream config should roughly be for 1 Gig.  Most issues with slow speeds on 1 Gig are down to the devices not being capable of the speed.  Try RealSpeed - SamKnows this will give you the speed to the router and also your device

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

@Richw1982 wrote:
SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

This is what the downstream config should roughly be for 1 Gig.  Most issues with slow speeds on 1 Gig are down to the devices not being capable of the speed.  Try RealSpeed - SamKnows this will give you the speed to the router and also your device

‘Thins will give you the (real*) speed to the router and the (real*) speed to your device.

OK, and how exactly can we be sure that the results are in any way accurate?

* seriously? And how exactly are these values obtained?

Yes it will check the speed to the Hub and the speed to the device.  It would get the values the same way any other speed test gets its values so i am not sure what the point is your trying to make.  Trying to eliminate the limitations of the customers device or any external influences on Wi-Fi would be the first steps of a reasonable diagnosis 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

jamierawlings
On our wavelength

Hi,

I am also having a similar problem to this. I have recently joined Virgin Media and have the 1GB broadband service (1000x50). When I run the SamKnows speed test (on WiFi or Ethernet) I receive around 1154Mbps Download to the Virgin Media Hub 4; but only around 500Mbps to the device. An example device is my Apple iPhone 12 Pro; but I have also tested with a year old Dell i5 laptop too.

The strange thing is my Dad has the slower speed connection at his house (600x40), and when I did the SamKnows speed test on the same device there (on my iPhone 12 pro) I was getting 649Mbps Download to the Hub (he has a Hub 5, but previously had a Hub 3) and 645Mbps to the device. Therefore I'm getting a higher download speed but on the lower tariff.

I have tried to keep my testing the same (e.g. similar distances to the router), both were done at night last night. 

I have tried to check/work through some of the other suggestions on some of the posts, but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong in the config. Does anybody have any advice to increase/resolve this?

Cheers

Jamie

Hi there @jamierawlings, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you are not seeing the expected speeds to the devices. I have checked our system and cannot see anything obvious as to why you would be having this issue. As you have ran a Sam knows test and it shows that your hub is getting the expected speeds this is a good sign that there is not an issue to the signal to the hub.

I would recommend running through some checks on our speed help page here. It may also be a good idea to run a wired and wireless test with all but 1 device disconnected from the hub to see if this makes a difference.

Let us know how you get on with this, if you need further help we will be happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules