cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6416

jksreddev
Dialled in

Hi all. Have been receiving regular calls from this number. Googling suggests it could be spam while others say its genuine.  I'm opted out of marketing So the only thing I can do is block it. Any thought's?

Screenshot_20230521-110409_Phone.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number may well be a VM sales team number, but caller ID can easily be spoofed so you do not actually know who is calling you. Think about it, if you were a spammer would you not use a genuine number?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jksreddev,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome, sorry to hear you are receiving unwanted calls, the above number does appear to be our Sales team, when and how did you opt out of marketing?

Regards

Paul.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The number may well be a VM sales team number, but caller ID can easily be spoofed so you do not actually know who is calling you. Think about it, if you were a spammer would you not use a genuine number?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jksreddev
Dialled in

I haven't ticked the box in my app saying I agree to marketing, but as poster says below it could well be that it was spoofed. I'll just keep it on block just in case.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jksreddev 

If you have changed your marketing preference it can take up to 30 days to up date at our side. You're correct though, numbers can be spoofed. If you are in any doubt of the legitimacy of a call/number, hang up and call the known customer service number yourself if needed to be sure. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Sharron_
Joining in

I believe it to be a spoofed telephone number. I got a call and they asked me to confirm my address, postcode and d.o.b when I refused and said I don’t confirm anything over the phone in cold calls they put the phone down on me.  If it had been genuine they should have tried to confirm my identity another way like asking for last two digits of account number or what my last bill amount was.  Anything other than putting phone down on me.

Hi Sharron_ 

Thank you for posting and welcoming you onto our community forum 😊.

Sorry to see you are getting calls from a number ☹.

Can you please provide the number that has rang you so we can have a look.

Did they advise anything before they put the phone down?  

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Read this post as well, same number, keeps calling me, and 'who called me' website says possible scam. 

When I answered one of the calls, there was an asian/indian guy, wanted my email address, and when I askes why, asked for my password. Definately NOT a VM staffer, or if he was, was suspicious to say the least. Hung up on him...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Possible-VN-phone-call-or-scammers/td-p/545040...

Not saying this isn't a genuine VM number, but that it's probably being 'spoofed' by certain people.. BE AWARE!!