cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random resetting to Router mode (should be modem mode)

webriddler
On our wavelength

My GIG 1 package has been active for about 4 months during the whole time on 3 separate occasions the modem is 'resetting' itself to Router mode. It takes a complete reset to 'undo' and reconfigure in modem mode. Does anybody have any suggestions before I attempt to speak to customer service? I can post logs if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

webriddler
On our wavelength

Hi,

Just wanted to update but VM DID arrange to replace the Hub5, I was able to successfully activate the new hub and (fingers crossed) so far the new hub is working as expected. I will keep an eye on this and post any updates to this thread.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

customer service will do nothing the dam thing should stay in modem mode unless VM are causing this wanting people to go back to router mode because they want to stop having that as a option? people ARE going to know!

The internet has become a joke with ISP and there router mode😟

---------------------------------------------------------------

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi webriddler 👋

Thanks for posting, and a warm welcome back to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your Hub reverting to Router Mode. This primarily occurs on a Hub that does not currently support Modem Mode, such as the Hub 5X. If you do not have a 5X, then this may be a fault with your current Hub itself.

I've attempted to locate some details based on your Forum account, but have been unable to do so. Can you confirm which Hub you currently have with us, or if you're not sure, send over a picture and we'll advise further?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi,

I can confirm it's a Hub 5 (it does support modem mode via the settings page) I could semi-understand this issue if it was happening after say a power cut (we have some on an infrequent basis) but it's occurring at random. If I reset the modem which is the only fix then I suspect I lose access to the logs.

I think as you have pointed out that it may be the modem itself is faulty (I can log in to the settings page on 192.168.0.1 and attempt to simply re-enable modem mode but the modem doesn't restart it just hangs on the page advising that the modem will reboot into modem mode and to connect at 192.168.100.1)

The only 'fix' as I have stated is to fully reset the modem and allow it to power cycle back into modem mode.

Please let me know if you need any additional information / logs etc and I will post.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If is was a Hub 5X it wouldn't work at all in modem mode, as that function is not yet released AFAIK.  However, a couple of things.  Have you tried a factory reset as below?  It is important not to reboot the Hub during this, but just let the Hub do the reboots etc and settle itself. 

Also can you post all your power levels and network log please.  A BQM would be recommended as well  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

webriddler
On our wavelength

Can I escalate this via the Forum staff?

It happened again this morning and it's super annoying. I got through to tech support, but they were unhelpful and didn't appear to understand. I suspect I need a tech visit and a hub swap.

If one of the mods can DM me I will supply my account details so it can be looked at further.

Client62
Legend

Does the log show detail just before the reboot into router mode ( perhaps a failing software update ) ?

God DAM IT VM leave your hubs mode settings alone if we are in modem mode we want to be in modem mode!

---------------------------------------------------------------

webriddler
On our wavelength

Hi,

Just wanted to update but VM DID arrange to replace the Hub5, I was able to successfully activate the new hub and (fingers crossed) so far the new hub is working as expected. I will keep an eye on this and post any updates to this thread.

Hi Webriddler 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you back onto the community forum ☺.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your router ☹.

I will investigate this matter for you 🧐, but I will have to send you a private message.

Please watch out for the envelope ✉.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide