cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how much it charge if I need an engineer visit to check the line

Shirleywu
Joining in

Hello. I am thinking of getting virgin media broadband. I can see virgin phone wall socket and some kind of other socket. But not sure it is still working, because I found some of the cable had been cut off before we moved in (which make me very confused) so I would prefer a professional engineer to have a look and install for us. In this situation will I be charged for installation? 
Too hard to get though the line by calling customer service. So, hope to get some help here. Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

See reply here to a similar question from last week

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Router-setup-on-new-connection-New-custom...

If you post up some photos of the connections that you do have, forum users should be able to give you some suggestions

Thank you for replying me. Here I just took some photos. Pic 1 is the wall socket I found and I don’t know what the small square box is for. Pic 2 is the cable been cut which is on the other side of the  wall where  socket located   Thank you

IMG_2177.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your images need to be approved by the moderators before they appear in public.

A forum VIP will be able to see the images before moderation and might give you a reply before then.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You would connect a new VM hub to the big box on the right in pic no.1. But, as you say, it looks as if the black incoming cable in the bottom right of pic. no. 2 and the omnibox outside have been cut and removed.

On the outside wall you might expect to see a junction box like the one on the left below

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/2019-article-illustrations/virgin_media_external_wall...

with a connector inside to join the black incoming cable in the bottom right of pic no.2 to the stub of white cable poking through the wall.

If you are minded to do any more investigating yourself, you could take off the lid of the big white box in your photo no. 1. It will probably look something like this inside

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-media-wall-socket-for-broadband-is...

As it appears that your cable is cut outside, the metal isolator box inside will just probably pull away with a connector and a short stub of white cable attached to it.

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Shirleywu,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

With this it does seem that the wire has been cut, it would be rather simple to go about sorting out a package for you but with this you would likely need a engineer out to are rewire the cabling so that the services can connect/work, we see you have spoken to the team since the original post, were they able to arrange this at all?

Joe

Hi thank you for replying me. One of the staff in customer service had run a line check for me. And he said the lines working perfectly. It is very strange. My router will be arriving tomorrow   I will see how it goes.