cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub to office pbx wiring

Chris_k1
Joining in

The current system we have in the office is 2x analogue telephone lines (2x 2wire) which connect to a panasonic 206 telephone switching system which distributes phone's to various offices. 

The VM hub presents two telephone outputs with 2 adapters hanging off. 

What is the pin out wiring from the hub sockets so I can wire to the pbx system? 

The pbx can only accept 2 wire per line but I assume the VM router outputs on 3 wire.

Any help would be great

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM hub ‘dongle’ excepts standard British telephone plugs or alternatively you can use an RJ11 plug on a cable into your system. Two or three wires should not matter, the third wire only goes to a capacitor in the hub to support very old style telephones, mostly not used on current phones.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM hub ‘dongle’ excepts standard British telephone plugs or alternatively you can use an RJ11 plug on a cable into your system. Two or three wires should not matter, the third wire only goes to a capacitor in the hub to support very old style telephones, mostly not used on current phones.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure about the actual wiring, but if you only have one Virgin line then only the TEL 1 port will be active. The TEL2 port is separately wired for customers renting two Virgin lines.

The maximum REN value of a hub port is 3, so make sure you don't exceed this.

I would also point out that this forum is for Residential Virgin customers. If you are a Virgin Business customer you will have different kit to what we have installed & staff on this forum are not trained to advise on it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I posted on here as the VM engineer couldn't care less during install, no help at all. And there's not much info out there about these new boxes

The hub is a Hitron and looks exactly like a domestic one. They have played for 2 lines and they are both active.

I'm just the sparky tasked with the job to get it work.....

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The info is out there but needs some interpretation and adaptation for the situation you are describing so use the following at your own risk/judgement ..

If the connection on the back of the VM Hitron hub is RJ11 then it will be the centre two pins (3,4) which are the line pair.

Look into one of the phone sockets on the back of the hub and you will (probably) see only two pins, the centre two.

The VM adapter converts those to a BT socket

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

The BT socket uses pins 2 and 5 for the line pair.

The pin numbering is explained here

https://leadsdirect.co.uk/technical-library/pinouts-wiring-diagrams/telecoms-wiring/

(note both the RJ11 and BT plugs are 6 position connectors but often some of the actual pins may be missing as they are not required so actual cables and adapters may be 6P4C or 6P2C - 6 position plug/socket with 4 or 2 conductors. This applies when counting the pin numbers as well where some of the actual pins/conductors may not be present though the slot for them is there)

The phone manual for the PBX looks as if this might be it

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/PanasonicDL/206/206%20Installation_Manual.pdf

and page 12 shows the internal wiring to connect the lines.

The polarity of the 'A' and 'B' wires may/may not be important to the PBX. Many manufactured leads do not keep to the polarity reliably.

https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wiring-info/

The internal PBX connector looks like it is IDC and requires solid core cable. Any leads you buy to make the connection may be stranded so you may need some kind of junction box between the two cable types, or make your own RJ11 to PBX cable using solid core cable.

Interesting to see how/if the Panasonic PBX works when connected to the lines from the VM hub which are not true POTS connections. The PBX seems a fairly elderly system.

Was the PBX previously connected to two separate telephone numbers (i.e. two separate lines) or was it a multi-line arrangement (two lines under the same number)?

Thanks for your help. 

They haven't completed the switch over with the lines yet. The existing has 2 separate lines with 2 separate numbers. If one is busy the other line gets used apparently.?!?

The bosses are tight as.... and want to keep the phone exchange, who knows if it's going to work or not. We will see tomorrow!

Ryan_c1
Tuning in

Did this work? plugging your office pbx into the hub?

Hi Chris,

Did you manage to get the virgin hub telephone line to play nicely with the PBX?