cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on Hub 3

KAWARON
Joining in

Hi,

I have had the red light on constantly on the Hub 3 for a couple of weeks and it feels hot to the touch. When using the mobile phone through the wifi it sometimes disconnects for no apparent reason. It is in a well ventilated area, I have unplugged the hub at the mains and left it to cool down overnight, done a reset and a factory reset via the pin hole at the back.

I phoned customer service and they told me they had checked the connections and found no problems so carry on using it. I expressed concern and asked why when a red light is on constantly which indicated it was overheating and the Virgin website tells you to contact them immediately I was told there was no problem and to contact them again if there were any other problems.

Could one of the forum team please confirm that this hub is safe to use as it still concerns me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The Forum Team will take this seriously when they get to this thread.  However, the Hub 3 will be a fire risk, as you obviously fear.  For what my opinion is worth,  the Hub should not be used nor connected to the mains.  If you have no other means of Internet access, then operate the Hub 3 in front of your eyes and turn it off when you are not using the Internet.  Have a fire extinguisher to hand.  All very dramatic, but an electrical fire is a possibility when the Hub 3 is hot and the red light is on.

I'll now break Forum etiquette:

@FORUMTEAM

VIRGIN MEDIA WILL BE AT RISK IN LAW IF THE OP (OR ANY OTHER RED LIGHT REPORTER) SUFFERS ANY MATERIAL DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF THE RED LIGHT ON THE HUB 3 AND THE VERBAL ADVICE RECEIEVED FROM THE HELP LINE BY THE OP.  PLEASE TAKE THIS MATTER PUBLICLY UNDER YOUR WING AND RAISE THIS THROUGH YOUR MANAGEMENT TO APPROPRIATELY HIGH LEVELS.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE OP TO DEAL WITH.  PLEASE PROVIDE THE OP WITH THE CORRECT ADVICE AND ARRANGE SWIFT REPLACEMENT OF THE HUB 3 WITH ANYTHING BUT A HUB 3.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The Forum Team will take this seriously when they get to this thread.  However, the Hub 3 will be a fire risk, as you obviously fear.  For what my opinion is worth,  the Hub should not be used nor connected to the mains.  If you have no other means of Internet access, then operate the Hub 3 in front of your eyes and turn it off when you are not using the Internet.  Have a fire extinguisher to hand.  All very dramatic, but an electrical fire is a possibility when the Hub 3 is hot and the red light is on.

I'll now break Forum etiquette:

@FORUMTEAM

VIRGIN MEDIA WILL BE AT RISK IN LAW IF THE OP (OR ANY OTHER RED LIGHT REPORTER) SUFFERS ANY MATERIAL DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF THE RED LIGHT ON THE HUB 3 AND THE VERBAL ADVICE RECEIEVED FROM THE HELP LINE BY THE OP.  PLEASE TAKE THIS MATTER PUBLICLY UNDER YOUR WING AND RAISE THIS THROUGH YOUR MANAGEMENT TO APPROPRIATELY HIGH LEVELS.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE OP TO DEAL WITH.  PLEASE PROVIDE THE OP WITH THE CORRECT ADVICE AND ARRANGE SWIFT REPLACEMENT OF THE HUB 3 WITH ANYTHING BUT A HUB 3.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for reaching out to us @KAWARON, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the red light being permanently on, on the Hub 3.0 and that it's too hot to touch.

We will need to ensure that this replaced as soon as possible, with a replacement issued from one of our engineers.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Thanks,

David_Bn

Big thanks to David_Bn from the Forum Team. His prompt response and organisation of an engineer to call and replace the faulty hub has solved the problem and everything is working perfectly.

Thanks again,

KAWARON

@KAWARON wrote:

Big thanks to David_Bn from the Forum Team. His prompt response and organisation of an engineer to call and replace the faulty hub has solved the problem and everything is working perfectly.

Thanks again,

KAWARON

Yes indeed.  To the best of my knowledge, though, this is the first time that a fire risk Hub 3 has been accorded such quick attention from the Forum Team.   It remains to be seen how Hub 3 Red Light reports are treated going forward.
Did you get another Hub 3?  If so, maybe we'll see you again!

Hi Sephiroth,

Yes it was another Hub 3 so hopefully the same problem will not occur again. Thanks for the previous information it was most helpful.

This was my first experience with the forum and pleased to say it was a good one.

KAWARON