cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VM connect app forcing to optimise networks

StagTown
Just joined

I have a similar issue.,I need to keep my 2.4GHz and 5 GHz devices separate as I have smart devices that will only work with 2.4 GHx. The connect app allowed me to suspend devices on the network (needed due to my families inability to go off screens at night) which the connection to the hub appears not to. If I optimise it wipes out this configuration back to smart WiFi and my smart devices stop working. Surely Virgin Media must recognise that Smart WiFi won’t work for everyone and the Connect App with certain features excluded should work for all users with split networks

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

Surely mobiles remain in the kitchen after lights out.

The VM Connect app will pester endlessly to re-merge the SSID,
so manage the Hub via its menu at http://192.168.0.1/

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can pause the devices using the Admin console as advised above by @Client62    I've never needed to use the app to do any work on the Hub for the short periods it may be in Router mode.  In the long term it is better to learn your way around the console.  Besides if you really mess anything up, you can reset the Hub with the pinhole reset button.

EDIT - I recommend any console work to be done with a wired connection for stability.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The 'Smart' WiFi works for the majority of customers and gives VM somewhere to point customers with basic WiFi problems. They don't want to train staff to deal with individual issues, they expect the Forum to answer those. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Client62
Legend

If my mobile was to be Wi-Fi Paused ( blocked ) , it would promptly would reconnect via GSM mobile data
and / or it would randomize its Wi-Fi MAC Address and auto reconnect over Wi-Fi.  

With either solution Wi-Fi Pausing fails to prevent the device from having access to the public internet.