cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss

Maxtabor1
Tuning in

Been getting packet loss for at least 4 months now consistently ,  Currently on hub 5 router mode, upgraded plan to Gigabit broadband, changed ethernet cable and tried tp link powerline adapters none of them yet to fix my issue.

Notes: Gets alot worse when more people are on the wifi. The later in the day the more packets get lost it seems.

Maxtabor1_1-1709061396286.png

Maxtabor1_0-1709061589518.png

(Tests taken at 7pm) currently using an ethernet cable from router to computer for this test.

32 REPLIES 32

Bugs1012
Tuning in

I've been suffering with constant stutters.  Mostly like this:

Bugs1012_0-1709142243777.png

but also occasionally like this 😱
Bugs1012_1-1709142267729.png

https://ping.canbeuseful.com/en#ping

It's no different whether i connect directly to the router or over wifi.  It seems to have got significantly worse in the last 3 months.  I called VM support and they said that the contract I have with them refers to the upload/download speeds, and not the consistency of the signal.  No idea what to do about it, but it ruins online gaming.

the exact same for me i called them yesterday, i told them my problem and they said about upload/downloads. i get good mbps but get alot of packet loss and they said they didnt know what packet loss was so i came to this to ask for help.

Bugs1012_0-1709204811936.png

I haven't run this for a full day, but it's full of these huge yellow spikes - which suggests problems to me...

Very high yellow spikes, and some red spikes. Not sure what any of that means but doesn’t look good to me.   Does anyone have any ideas on (a) what the problem is (b) how I can fix it?

someone told me that I could have a faulty superhub?

IMG_5434.jpeg

Maxtabor1_0-1709281343493.png

Mine doesnt look as bad on the yellow spikes, but i have alot more red spikes. its very on and off, not sure what to do to fix this issue.

Hello Maxtabor1.

Thanks for your BQM.

Sorry to hear about your packmate loss.

I did run a check on the levels coming into your hub and its not showing anything wrong.

Which leads me to looking at swapping the hub for you.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

haywardgg
Tuning in

I'm on Gig2 , Hub 5+, and have noticed regular packet loss spikes every hour, on the hour. I've tracked this down to the Samknows tool they run on the router, hourly. Which makes streaming longer than an hour, impossible. Anyone have this issue, or notice the same packet loss spike pattern?

For context. The short , regular spikes are the Samknows tool, while the other longer line is where I rebooted the router and the other non-regular spikes are where I was testing the tool myself.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 13-27-05 Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

It's just a simulation. Enjoy it while you can.
My Gig2 (FTTP / XGS-PON / Symmetrical) BQM

Hi @haywardgg 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Apologies for any broadband issues. I can see you've spoke to the team since posting and have got an engineer visit booked in.

Please let us know how it goes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

It's not a hardware fault, so I fail to see how an engineer is going to help. I feel like you either don't care or don't want to listen. I've found the issue, it's 100% caused by the Samknows Reelspeed. I've worked in IT, professionally, for more than 25 years now. I manage servers for my clients and have provided IT Support at all levels throughout my career. 

The engineer hasn't turned up. He's got another 5 minutes and I'm calling it a day.

I really hope your investors hear about this. 

It's just a simulation. Enjoy it while you can.
My Gig2 (FTTP / XGS-PON / Symmetrical) BQM

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Guess you be running by wire to the hub a ping -t -w 200 194.168.4.100 with tea and coffee for upto a hour when the problem happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------