cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x using own router

Guinness2023
Joining in

Morning everyone.

I’m trying to connect my Asus TUF-AX6000 router to my Hub 5x and i’m getting double NAT issues.

Now i know that modem mode isn’t available yet but i’m wondering what is the best work around for the time being.

Would anybody with better networking skills than myself be able to shine any light?

Many Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Legend

To avoid double NAT use the Asus TUF-AX6000 in Access Point mode.

Guinness2023
Joining in

Hi Client62,

Access point mode disables the QOS features of the Asus router which i want enabled preferably. 

Is there a way i can have the Asus in Router mode and avoid the NAT issues?

Client62
Legend

General advice is for QoS to always be fully disabled on domestic grades of router.

The concern is QoS often provides a performance hit, that may not have been obvious on FTTC but with more than a 1Gb on tap from the Hub 5x the next complaint is VM is slow ...

@Guinness2023 wrote:

Hi Client62,

Access point mode disables the QOS features of the Asus router which i want enabled preferably. 

Is there a way i can have the Asus in Router mode and avoid the NAT issues?

In a word, no.

Well, technically you could use a VPN on the Asus, however, it would slow down your overall speed.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

double NAT and DMZ to your router as you wait for modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

handsomeinked
Up to speed

Random question I don't suppose you're able to get to  http://192.168.0.1/?page=modemmode Just wondering if it's just the menu item that has been disabled... Also, keeping an eye as FTTP is coming to our area, probably much later in the year as they are only just prepping the current ducting to blow the new fibre down to replace the coax. So, really don't want to make the move until modem mode is available as well, I like the way I have my network setup and don't want to struggle to achieve even the most basic of task with virgins' attempt at a router. 

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1

No, it does not work.

Is QOS really that important to you?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Or for more security if you don't trust VM NAT your own NAT 

---------------------------------------------------------------