cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I leave without paying exit fee

rsdawes
Just joined

Virgin broadband has been repeatedly down these last few weeks with no explanation or permanent fix.  They are breaching their agreement,  so why do I have to honour my agreement by paying an exit fee? 

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"do I have to honour my agreement by paying an exit fee" Yes. Where in the T&C does it say they are breaking their agreement and you can leave without penalty? Have you registered for the down times? Have you received any of the agree compensation?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I thought under consumer rights,  if you're paying for a service which you aren't receiving,  you are eligible to break the contract. 

I've just spoken to customer relations and if it's not resolved by 12noon tomorrow,  they will process the cancellation free of charge

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @rsdawes 

I see you've also added a post to the thread by VMC5123 in the networking & wifi  forum <here>  You state you're in the NP4 area, and they state they are in the NP44 (Cwmbran) area which is right next door to your postal area..

That forum is a better one to post in that here than posting here in the tech chatter forum, as Forum Staff don't tend to frequent the chatter or natter forums as those two forums are generally for non VM related posts.

As such to help get your post noticed by staff I've moved your thread to theat forum.

There's also another post, this one by Nathanbaker311, <here> stating they are in the NP4 area (Pontypool) oddly enough that's 3 in one day all with different usernames from the Newport locale.

It's very rare for three different users to be reporting the same issues within the same postcode area, without VM being aware, unless the customers haven't used the usual fault reporting facilities.

Have you used the online /check-services/ function? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there. 

If nothing is showing  there then I suggest trying the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level, and if the issue is that widespread in your locale it should be showing up on there, along with an estimated fix time.

The following page /virginmedia.com/help/outages-explained  provides information on why it can take longer than expected to fix issue, along with a link to the page detailing how to claim compensation for total loss of broadband service.

If you scroll to the bottom of the /virginmedia.com/broadband/our-speeds-explained page you will see VM's Rights to cancel FAQ's.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @rsdawes

In case you have seen it yet, <Nathanbaker311>  posted

"Update, Found out the fault was caused due to someone accidentally cutting the fibre optic line in Newport. It’s caused outages through Newport, Cwmbran and Pontypool areas should be running for around 4pm ish fingers crossed " 

EDIT also <omeredith>  posted

"NP44 here as well. First time I’ve had proper downtime with them in almost a year of being with them, so I genuinely can’t say I’ve had many issues at all (none actually). 
Apparently seems a line has been cut, so if that’s the case then it really was something out of Virgin Media’s control. They’re working on it (fault ticket number - F011549798), but depends how big of a job it is to get it replaced. 
I think people need to calm down sometimes with them throwing their hands up in the air threatening to cancel etc. these things happen sometimes, and we’ll all get automatically compensated for it." 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali