cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Wall socket Help

hasa12
Tuning in

Hi, I have a Gig1 fibre hub. I want to connect my PC (running Windows 11) to it via an ethernet cable in the wall socket, but it seems that I get no ethernet when using the wall sockets, as when I check ethernet settings it is not connected. I also have a brand-new ethernet adapter plugged into one of the USB C slots. I know the adaptor isn't the problem as when I connect my adaptor directly to one of the router's ethernet ports it works.

I tried connecting the router to one of the wall sockets next to it which I assume is the central distribution point that supplies all the wall sockets with the ethernet, but that doesn't give me anything, tried changing the ethernet cables and that does nothing; I'm having trouble finding the ethernet switch.

Coloured red is what i have connected the cable to now, and it is the only place that i can to my knowledge. I acc dont know whether it is functional or from virgin media.

The third image is the thing my router is connected to but there is no ethernet slot.

hasa12_0-1703802873708.jpeg

hasa12_1-1703802900652.jpeghasa12_2-1703802921632.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could firstly take the lid off the box in photo 2 and confirm that an ethernet cable is actually wired to the faceplate.

If there is, locate any other ethernet sockets in your home which you think might connect to the faceplate in photo 2.

Use a simple cable tester to match one end of a cable with its other end

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

The above is a generic item so you don't have to get it from Screwfix. You can probably find the same item under different brand names (and possibly cheaper) from the likes of eBay, Amazon etc. This is just for testing a length of cable from one end to the other so it won't work through active network equipment such as a switch etc.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You’re just going to have to trace where the cable goes from that Ethernet RJ45 socket. Nobody on the board can guess that for you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the response. 
the second picture image shows the socket (to which I connected the router to) that I assumed was the source As it was located in that utility cabinet/ area where my wifi was set up.

As those cables are behind the wall I’d have a hard time tracing them to the source; if you could point me in the right direction as to how I could track them, it would be much appreciated 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could firstly take the lid off the box in photo 2 and confirm that an ethernet cable is actually wired to the faceplate.

If there is, locate any other ethernet sockets in your home which you think might connect to the faceplate in photo 2.

Use a simple cable tester to match one end of a cable with its other end

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

The above is a generic item so you don't have to get it from Screwfix. You can probably find the same item under different brand names (and possibly cheaper) from the likes of eBay, Amazon etc. This is just for testing a length of cable from one end to the other so it won't work through active network equipment such as a switch etc.

Thanks for the response

I removed the plate, and this is what I saw,

i assume I have to do the wiring for it but i have no idea

IMG_3358.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virginmedia don't do ethernet wiring. Your pictures don't show a VM device, so this was done by a previous owner or electrician. Hopefully the suggested tool will assist you in tracing the connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The thing you have in your hand looks like a filtered telephone faceplate which allows you to connect a phone and a router to a telephone line without having to plug in a DSL broadband filter.

So that isn't an ethernet distribution cable within you home it looks like it is for an Openreach connection, I think.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree, and it looks like there is nothing connected to it. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks