cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping Packets

reddevil7981
Joining in

Hi All, 

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this, but today i have been encountering packet loss. Normally this would be ok but when streaming TV, or gaming this cuts out the connection. I have run BQM for 2 hours (i know thats not a long time) this happened a few weeks back but Virgin said it was a fault in the area. I have checked the service status page and its not saying any outages in my area. 

packetloss.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

reddevil7981
Joining in

packetloss.jpg

Hi, an engineer came out yesterday and said that the upstream power levels were borderline. So hes tweaked these a bit and replaced the super hub but i am still seeing the same high levels of packet loss. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ecb37d8ce8d1365cd847083b78d26f7de88d77fb

I have also set BQM running on a family members system and that is not getting anywhere near this amount of packet loss. 

The engineer that came said they dont test packet loss, latency or anything like that but the issues are still happening? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What devices do you have connected to the Hub on ethernet cables?

If you unplug them does the packet loss disappear and re-appear when you plug any back in?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

test first hop by wire

run ping -t your WAN gateway

to find your WAN gateway

IP Address Lookup (IPv4 & IPv6) (ip-lookup.net)

example

94.173.27.1 not gateway

94.173.26.1 gateway

maid-09-b2-v4wan-162619-gw.vm41.cable.virginm.net
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply

I have a fire TV and a Ps5 plugged in, i have disconnected these and still the same. 

Hi, 

Thanks for replying, i have run the ping and noticed that it drops out at the time when the BQM show packet loss. I have also run a reoccurring ping to the internet and to a local device on the network. The internet one drops out again when the BQM shows packet loss but the local one doesnt. I have the router set up in modem mode and plugged into an Asus router, but it still does the same when i take it out and put the SH4 back into router mode. 

Another engineer came out Thurs and swapped the attenuator and the cable, he again said the signal strength was ok. He said to leave it a week to settle down and if it still continues to happen to call up and ask for the cable outside to be reprovided. 

reddevil7981
Joining in

Theres been a lot of drop outs over the last 24 hours, it stops up streaming things on ITVx and 4OD for about 30 secs then comes back on, it also drops out the connection when im playing EAFC which is a pain.

Hey reddevil7981,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection, I have looked into this again and can see that another technician visit will be needed. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L