cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP issues with new Hub5. Wi-Fi but no Internet on some devices

mezzaninedoor
On our wavelength

I got a new Hub5 about 8-10 weeks ago.   In the last couple of weeks some devices can connect to the WI-FI but they don’t have Internet so pretty useless.

This is only on some devices and mainly seems to be laptops.

However these devices appear to be able to get internet on the Guest network?

I’ve been reading around this and it seems you can only have 255 DHCP connections and Hub5 doesnt seem to be recycling IP addresses on the DHCP server.

is there anything I can do to fix this please? 

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Alessandro Volta

DHCP server issues were quite common in the early versions of the Hub 5 Software.

Which version of Software is on your Hub 5 ?   (with our Hub's menu this is seen from Admin >> Info )

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Hubs not that well tested and when we have a issue VM think we are the problem so use hub in modem mode that been tested to work with people who just want the internet we pay for with are own router with 1Gb ports or better

---------------------------------------------------------------

TedsMob2014
Joining in

Same issues here now on my 2nd Hub 5 - replied to a similar thread a few days ago and again today. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WIfi-has-no-valid-IP-configuration/td-p/550...

Issue is 100% Dhcp related and soon as that lease time is up it has issues, default lease is 1 day I've increased mine to 7 days, but hoping to go modem mode and hook my own Asus Mesh back up. However this doesn't resolve the problem.

VM this needs fixing.

My current hub software is 

Software version
LG-RDK_7.6.20-2306.5? not sure if this is only or new

TedsMob2014
Joining in

So I wake up and again several devices no longer have an IP and show Unidentified network, this is really doing my head in now I Work From Home and this is a great struggle.

@VirginMedia.. what is going on with this IP/DHCP issue?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

LG-RDK_7.6.15-2306.5  was first reported from around 08/02/2024  this is not an early version.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Are you willing to set static IP addresses for your regular devices?  Assuming the facility exists in the Hub 5, you would associate a device MAC address with a chosen IP address in the DHP range.  Any lease time you set (and there needs to be one for rules reasons) is irrelevant.

Let us know, please.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Devices connecting and then not working always hints at Wi-Fi Pausing / MAC Filtering,
or the presence of a 2nd DHCP server giving out IPs that don't route to the internet.

Sadly when there is an alleged DHCP problem the OP does not post the full IP details of the devices that are not working to show what has happened.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

As I said, try the static IP method.  Hoping for a solution from VM in short order is an illusion.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Client62 wrote:

Devices connecting and then not working always hints at Wi-Fi Pausing / MAC Filtering,
or the presence of a 2nd DHCP server giving out IPs that don't route to the internet.

Sadly when there is an alleged DHCP problem the OP does not post the full IP details of the devices that are not working to show what has happened.

Exactly. In this case the OP has posted elsewhere that he has an Orbi RBR20, so who knows how the hub 5 and Orbi are connected and how the Orbi is configured.

BTW, the hub 5 may not be as terrible as some people say it is as mine works perfectly well with all devices getting their IP addresses dynamically allocated.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection