cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation issues with replacement router

daveeb
Up to speed

Well I received a replacement hub 3 for my shub 2 with impressive speed (thanks Joe_B). Unfortunately it won't activate (I got a text from VM after about half an hour mentioning technical issues stopping the activation of the kit and to contact virginmedia.com/qsactivate). Ended in an offshore chat spent mostly verifying myself then being told an engineer would come out Thursday. I've checked the coax connection which is as secure as I can make it and the lights on the box seemed to do what the literature suggested, the cycle ending with just the bottom light a solid white.

Not sure whether the issue is operator error, VM error or dodgy box but I'm now without my main interweb for 36+ hours at least. Is any kind person able to run a check for me please ? I'm not sure the person I spoke to on chat really knew much about it.  Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below just in case;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

Also check the SH2.  If it still connects, then your Hub 3 is not provisioned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

daveeb
Up to speed

Thanks for that Adduxi. VM have already texted me to say they can't activate it so that would appear to be the issue. The router was "new" out of the box, and nothing has been connected to it. The wifi password works, just no internet wireless or wired. I've just discovererd (on here) that there is an activation number you can ring 0800 953 9500 so I'll maybe try that tomorrow.

daveeb
Up to speed

P.S. I did try your suggestion with the same result. I suspect that, as you say, the old router would still work if I plugged it in but I had it all boxed up to send back so don't know if I can be bothered. I'm a bit surprised they want me to send a shub2 back.

There is no listed fee for keeping the SH2 https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/price-guides

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Thanks that's good to know, however they have sent me a prepaid sticker so I'll probably just send it off to save dropping it at the electrical recycling centre.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just make sure you hang onto the proof of posting.  I know the SH2 is not listed, but this is VM after all.  As much as my broadband is good, sometimes the returns business is a bit hit and miss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So I rang the activation number this morning. There was a very faing breaking up voice, couldn't tell if it was human or robot. Tried that twice, no luck. Then rang pre-install team (India), after the chap told me the account number didn't match name he then decided it was OK and managed to get the box activated. I'm now up and running but when I go to cancel the engineer visit that the live chat person booked (for tomorrow) it runs through various checks and tells me that there is still an issue with the connection, even though it seems to be working ok. There is no way to cancel the visit so I don't know what the problem is or how to proceed.

daveeb
Up to speed

I did a VM status test (after a reboot) , it pronounced

"it looks like we need to reset the hub"

"There are no issues with the connectionfrom our network to your wifi hub."

"If your devices are having trouble getting online tap below to reset the hub. A reset can fix most problems."

I think I'll let the engineer come and scratch his head tomorrow, especially as the system won't let me cancel.

Glad to hear the call to the team resulted in this being resolved daveeb. If you need help in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch via the forums.

Rob