cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install of VM Mega TV Pack in July - Installing Stream Box instead of TV 360 Box + No Phone either

Walrus1969
Tuning in

I signed up to VM yesterday as a new customer and booked a new install of the VM Mega TV Pack (£39.99/month) for early July which includes the M350 broadband. VM only installed Cable here several months ago. Subsequently, I have found out that because of the "type of cables" I have here, a VM 360 Box will NOT be installed and I'll be receiving a Stream Box instead as an alternative (confirmed on my VM Contract Information Sheet). Also, I will not have a 'Phone' here either. I was given no date(s) as to when I will get a 360 Box and/or Phone in the future.

I was very unhappy about this, so, today I phoned 'Cancellations' with the intention of cancelling my contract or at the very least being offered some financial compensation for the reduction in service what the Mega TV pack offers. (Note: I also have a £170 bill in cancelling the remaining 1 year of my PlusNet broadband contract). The Scots lass I spoke to appeared sympathetic and said she will put me on hold for 2 mins. My call was forwarded without my knowledge to 'New Installs'. Anyway, the foreign chap at New Installs told me that a TV 360 Box WILL be installed at my house in early July and had no idea why I was informed that I was being offered a Stream Box instead. He also confirmed there is no Phone facility. He was NOT willing to put any of this in writing and stated the call was being recorded. He kept me on hold for several minutes which resulted in (allegedly) having a £50 credit being added to my account which was just about acceptable. I have still not been able to confirm this £50 credit as yet.

I remain very unhappy and still considering cancelling. It's like ordering a Sky Q box and being told I will have a Now TV box fitted instead for the same price. I would appreciate any feedback from the experienced members on this forum and if any VM staff who are here monitoring, please. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Not sure what has gone on and a staff member will hopefully respond soon.

As you were able to order Mega TV pack, one would assume you are in an HFC (coax) area as that pack is for a traditional TV360 set top box, not Stream as that is Freeview (plus a few more channels) unless you optionally take out a monthly subscription pack separately. If your cable was a new installation recently, then that could be RFoG or Full Fibre depending on whether it was infill expansion of network or new area. If it was Full Fibre (i.e. not coax inside the home to the router), then, yes Stream would be the only option BUT you should not have been able to order the "Mega TV" pack to start with.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Not sure what has gone on and a staff member will hopefully respond soon.

As you were able to order Mega TV pack, one would assume you are in an HFC (coax) area as that pack is for a traditional TV360 set top box, not Stream as that is Freeview (plus a few more channels) unless you optionally take out a monthly subscription pack separately. If your cable was a new installation recently, then that could be RFoG or Full Fibre depending on whether it was infill expansion of network or new area. If it was Full Fibre (i.e. not coax inside the home to the router), then, yes Stream would be the only option BUT you should not have been able to order the "Mega TV" pack to start with.

***UPDATE***

I've been doing some further digging and came across this:

Virgin Media services are only available in eligible Virgin Media network areas. TV 360 and home phone not currently available in 2023/24 network expansion areas.

So, after yet another phone call with VM, I confirmed that I will be getting a 'puck' stream box with Mega TV available through it but no cloud recording facility. Also, no Phone. I did mention that the promoting of the Mega TV bundle and the other bundles might be constrained as misleading advertising and mis-selling as it states a VM TV 360 Box will be supplied along with recording facilities available plus the use of a Phone. I could NOT get any reduction in my £39.99/month, so, it appears I'll be receiving lesser services than promised in the advertising of the Mega TV pack. This also goes for the more expensive packs. Not good!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Walrus1969 

The standalone M350 broadband is £35.99 a month. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/fibre/m350 

You should be able to add the Stream box to this for a one off £35 activation fee.

Information on the Stream box is available on <this page>   

Also please note that on that Stream page the M500 standalone broadband is offered for £33 a month, so a faster broadband speed for less money.

Screen shots below with prices.

The Stream channel guide is <here>  showing the free channels in column 1.

M350.jpgM500.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for posting this newapollo.

if anyone does need any further help please do let us know. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Pay TV is available in legacy DOCSIS areas which are implemented by HFC or RFoG. However this is not the case in the most recent XGS-PON areas where VM supplies the hub 5x and a Stream box (which is for streaming and is not a replacement for a set-top box such as the 360).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection