cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message "this number is temporarily unavailable. you might like to try contacting them in a different way

pt10001
Joining in

My landline has always been flaky and died completely a month ago so I switched to a digital line through the Virgin hub. Much clearer calls and all was working fine until a week ago. Then tried to call my 87 year old mother on her Sky phone line and got the error message  "Sorry, this number is temporarily unavailable. You might like to try contacting them in a different way"

Same message every day for a week. One post on Sky forum suggests a similar issue occurred last year - anyone else had this problem?

Paul

9 REPLIES 9

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi pt10001

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have had with the landline recently. 

Do you get this message when making all outbound calls or just to that one number please?

Is this issue ongoing or can you now dial her successfully?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

hi Vikki, it is just that one number, so I think it must be an issue with her Sky connection, although I can call her from my mobile and she can make and receive calls. I am going to visit soon so I can power cycle the hub and see if that helps. I am just curious to know how common this is.

Paul

Thanks for your reply @pt10001 😊 This certainly is an odd one. Just to confirm, has anyone else mentioned they have tried calling your mother and had the same issue? Please let us know if rebooting her Hub helps.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

pt10001
Joining in

Hi Nathan, just me as far as I know.

Paul

Hi @pt10001 👋.

Thanks for the update. Just one last question, do you include the full area code within her number when calling her?

Sabrina

Yes, I checked this morning. It is saved in the phone as an 01xxx number, rather than +441xxx. I will try dialling the +44 version when I get home tonight.

Paul

Ah yes, the 01 numbers. We are aware of a fault with that dialling prefix along with 02. The number being dialled should be 11 digits long, let us know if the number is shorter that is being dialled using the 01 prefix.

Sabrina

Yes the number is 11 digits as normal. The issue spontaneously stopped on Sunday before I got to reset the Hub. Phone is working normally now.

Hi pt10001,

Thank you for reaching back out, glad to hear you can now call the number in question, if you do have any further issues, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.