cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Landline - Can't make outgoing calls

VicandBob
On our wavelength

I'm not able to make calls on my Virgin landline. I can receive calls, but every time I dial to make a call, I'm just put straight through to the Virgin Media helpline - whatever number I dial. I've checked the Virgin Media website and can't see that there are any problems in our area, but can't get through to speak to a real person at Virgin Media without holding for hours on end.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi VicandBob, it should be viewable within 1 hour but go off the Forum PM I sent you for the date 🙂 

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

63 REPLIES 63

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Vicand Bob, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the landline services when trying to make a phone call.

Do you get a dial tone and have the opportunity to dial a number before you're put through to the helpline?

Is the handset plugged into the master socket or in an extension socket?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Yes, we have a dial tone and can receive calls but can't make any outgoing calls.  When we dial any number, we are just put through to the Virgin Media helpline.  Just managed to actually get through and speak to someone, and have been advised that Virgin are responsible for this, as they are going to put our phone through our router rather than through a separate phone socket which is how it's currently set up. Absolutely no advance warning that they would be cutting off our phone service and that they planned to put our phone through the router. Not sure I'm very happy, as if my internet goes down for any reason, I won't be able to use my phone at all. Now been told I've got to wait for an engineer to get in touch to come and 'upgrade' my router and transfer my phone. Also been told that not all phones will work through a router, and that it's my responsibility to check that mine will.  Can't say I'm very pleased about any of this, as everything was working well with no problems.

Thanks for coming back to us @VicandBob and I'm sorry for any inconvenience the switch over may cause you.

We have been gradually switching over all customers from phone lines to a router based phone line - as this is a process that all providers are/will go through over the next few months/years.

How old is the handset you're using?

The engineer will issue you an RJ11 adapter on their arrival, which you would then plug your phone into, and most modern handsets will work on this line.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Our phone is on about 7 or 8 years old, so I hope it will be fine.  Still waiting for an engineer to contact me though and at the moment we can't make outgoing calls on our landline which isn't a good situation to be in 😞

Hi VicandBob, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

When we've been able to recognise that an engineer is needed for the switchover, if you've not replied to any of the notifications then we do put a restriction on the line so it will prompt you to call us. Just to be clear, it doesn't restrict emergency numbers and it still allows any incoming calls as normal. 

Once the visit is booked, the restriction code is set to be removed from the account and the landline should then be unrestricted again within 24 - 48 hours. 

If you are still having an issue with dialling calls by close of play tomorrow, pop back to us here Wednesday morning and we can check the restriction code has been removed. 

Apologies once again for any inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

VicandBob
On our wavelength

Hello.  Thanks for getting back to me to explain.  However, I received no notifications from Virgin in advance to advise me that a switchover needed to happen, and I still haven't been contacted to arrange for a engineer to visit, even though I spoke to the Virgin Helpline on Saturday morning and it's now Wednesday.  Are you able to look into this for me, please.  Thanks very much.

Hi VicandBob,

Thank you for your reply - can you now make calls? 

The visit for the engineer should be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - do let me know if you're not able to see it however.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

VicandBob
On our wavelength

Hi there.  No we still can't make outgoing calls from our landline. My partner has just checked for me as I'm currently at work and not able to check myself.  i can see that an appointment has been made on My Virgin Media but this is not until 6th July, and we need the phone line to be working in the meantime if that could be sorted, please.  Also in the 'My orders and appointments' section of My Virgin Media it just says 'orders' rather than 'appointment' and then says 'phone'.  We do not need a phone as we have a working phone, just not a working phone line.  I was told when I spoke to the Virgin Media Helpline last Saturday that we had to have a new Superhub 3 and move our phone line from a wall socket so that it goes through to the new superhub.  Can you confirm that this is what the appointment on 6 July is for, and that you will restore our phone line in the meantime, please.  Thanks very much.

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry the line is not working, there's no reason it shouldn't be - can you unplug the landline for me and replug it back in? Let me know when done. If you've got a hub lower than a 3, we'd be sending you this as well for the migration to work but currently this issue with the landline isn't connected to the migration so don't worry 🙂 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team