cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline / WiFi problems after switchover

DixyD
Joining in

Yet another issue which has resulted in my raising a complaint.

On 25 January we lost connectivity to our landline and so could no longer make or receive calls.  I left this for 24 hours as suggested despite the checks that I was able to make indicating there were no problems to my services; I have broadband, landline and TV services.  I rang the technical department on the following day and after conducting some checks (my account still said there were no problems) they advised they would need to send an engineer and arranged for one to come on Monday 29 January.

The engineer arrived and after a very quick check advised that the only option open to me was to convert to the fibre optic digital service.  I was aware that the transfer to this was taking place up and down the country but had been advised that prior to the changeover I would receive a letter or notification advising of this; needless to say I received nothing.  After discussing the issue with the engineer it became clear that I had no options, I either consented to the changeover or would be without a landline!

Prior to the engineers visit I did some research online in respect of the problems of converting to the digital phone and was absolutely amazed to see the connectivity problems associated with the changeover.  I confirmed with the engineer that if the broadband router or fibre services went down we would be unable to receive or make calls.  He said that it may be possible to provide a ‘backup’ phone but this would be a mobile phone with limited functionality; I live in an area where the mobile signal for all providers is extremely poor, I have a mobile with the best signal (not Virgin or O2) I can get but need to use Wi-Fi calling to use it.  As you will appreciate, if the router etc were to go down I could be left unable to make or receive calls, even in the case of emergency!!  

Whilst I appreciate that the changeover is being undertaken throughout the country, for it to take place without notification or safety checks, or even common courtesy is appalling; I suspect this may also be outside the terms of my contract and is certainly outside their policies and operating procedures.  I have submitted a formal complaint and await the reply.

All this is on the back of another issue i am still dealing with and to which I have also raised a formal complaint.  Bye the way, I have been with Virgin for over 9 years!  Up until recently the support and services I have received have been excellent but have noticeably deteriorated recently.

To briefly outline the other issue I will provide an overview of events.

-  I have TVs and V6 boxes in 3 rooms, 2 x bedrooms and the lounge  whilst the broadband router is in the 4th bedroom/office.

-  The wi-fi signal strength upstairs is good and no problems but downstairs is patchy.

-  After experiencing wi-fi problems downstairs I contacted customer technical support who sent out an engineer.  The engineer did what he could but advised that the solution was to obtain a pod; this I tried to do but no success despite numerous promises of sending me a pod.

-  A second engineer was sent to have another look but confirmed there was nothing he could do but again advised in his report that the problem would probably be resolved by a pod.

-  After a week I again contacted customer service’s technical department to see what was happening and advised the pod had been ordered and would probably arrive early January.

-  A couple of weeks into January, no pod so called again and advised that a pod had not been ordered and a further engineers visit was needed; both previous engineers had noted that this would probably happen!  After a prolonged discussion I requested to speak to a manager and was told they would ring me back; 2 days later no call!

-  Due to frustration I contacted the department who deals with leaving Virgin who passed me on to customer services again and had the same runaround and so raised a formal complaint.  I received a reply and proposed resolution advising that the pod had been provisioned but nobody can tell me whether this is accurate or not.

This issue could easily be resolved by providing a pod but I understand that the system will not allow them to do so and there is nobody who has the ability or authority to override the system; under my contractual terms I am entitled to up to 3 pods.

Throughout this time I have been fobbed off, been given incorrect information, been made promises that haven’t been fulfilled and told that I would receive a call from a manger/senior manager to discuss the matter; none of which have been forthcoming.

I am now waiting to reach the 8 week deadline for resolving my complaints before taking them to the OFCOM ombudsman!  

Would i recommend Virgin to anyone, what do you think!!

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @DixyD Thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had recently in relation to the service and the customer experience.
I will try my upmost best to get matters resolved as this is far below the level of service we wish for our customers to have.

I will send a private message to further assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @DixyD Thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had recently in relation to the service and the customer experience.
I will try my upmost best to get matters resolved as this is far below the level of service we wish for our customers to have.

I will send a private message to further assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

DixyD
Joining in

Update.

Pod received and set up, as anticipated this has solved the problem.

A huge thank you to llyas_y for all his help, without his accepting the challenge of resolving the issue I am sure I would still be waiting and trying to get a response.