cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a latency issue?

HergestPhil
Dialled in

I was on 250Mbps via a SuperHub 3, but yesterday switched to 1Gbps via Superhub 5.

I initially had a bit of a flakey connection, but reconnected the copper cable to the white wall socket that hadn't been tightened by the engineer properly.  Rebooted router.  BMQ now looks mostly okay, Router stats not too bad.

But various speed/latency/bufferbloat tests give quite a wide range of results.  I was expecting better quality than with the Hub 3, but it felt like I had a more consistent quality connection with my hub 3 250Mbps connection, lower average ping for example playing some games, such as Rocket League.

My Upstream seems rock solid, with all tests showing consistent 100Mbps with low active load latency (grade A on the buffer bloat test, +2ms latency).

It's the download that seems a bit flakey still (buffer bloat test often reports a grade E downstream, with my downstream active load latency at +54ms).

Download speed tests seem to report varying figures, averaging around 780Mbps, running on a PC connected with gigabit ethernet.

Downstream power levels for channels range between 3.8 to 7.5, SNR 41-42.  Over a 24 hour period, I seem to have accululated in the range of 4 to 13 Pre RS errors on each channel.  No Post RS errors though.

3.1 Downstream channels, Active Profile corrected errors is now over 875M (no uncorrectable errors though).

16 REPLIES 16

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Try gaming with hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

I can only use one port in modem mode - need 3 ports.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If it run fine in modem mode you can get a better router

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi HergestPhil

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry to hear you're having a few issues with your broadband.

Whilst your BQM graph does look good, I've had a look on this end and some of your downstream channel levels are out of spec.

I can arrange an engineer visit for you to iron out the downstream issues. I've dropped you over a PM so I can take your details.

Beth

Thank you.

Hi @HergestPhil 

hanks for getting back to me with your details via PM.

I've gone ahead and booked in the next available engineer appointment for you. You can view and manage your appointment slot here.

There are a few things you need to be aware of for the visit. There may be a £25 charge if:

•    The customer is not present for the technician visit (aka a missed appointment).

•    The fault is due to customer's own equipment.

•    The fault is due to damage caused by someone at the customer's premises which we were not aware of.

•    The fault is due to theft, loss, or removal of equipment.

Otherwise, the appointment would be free of charge.

Let us know how the visit goes and if you need anything else 😊

Beth

@HergestPhil

It would be much appreciated if you could post back with the outcome after the engineer visit.

I've also had my Hub 3 replaced with a Hub 5 and have noticed latency and packet loss issues since. I'm on the M250 package.

From what I have researched so far - it could be due to combining DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0.

What's concerning is the number of Pre RS errors on the 3.1 downstream channel. I'm nearly at 2 billion corrected errors in a couple of days. You have about 10 billion. I'm not sure if that is due to network issues or line issues?