cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add app password for SMTP

AndyT99
Joining in

VM seem to have recently changed something to require explicit logging into the SMTP server. The way to resolve this apparently is to generate one of these 4-word app-specific passwords to log into it with. Apparently I can do this within the VM WebMail portal at mail.virginmedia.com. My problem is, I can't get into this portal, I end up at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-unavailable.

When I follow the instructions on that page, in Step 2 it says "Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail", but there is no such section on that page for me. Virgin Media Mail doesn't appear at all.

I suspect the root problem is that I've never used the mailbox that was originally set up when I moved to NTL World in the first place, I always had my own domain. I guess my VM mailbox has expired due to lack of use, or not migrated or something, and so now I can't get at any of the related sections of the site to create a password to use for SMTP. 

Any suggestions on what I can do?

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the old NTL account still with VM, i.e. do you have an active Contract with VM?  If not, your mailbox may be deleted as they are supposed to be after 90 days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey AndyT99, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this, also a warm welcome to the community.

As mentioned below do you still have an active account with us?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

AndyT99
Joining in

Apologies, I thought I'd already replied to this!

Yes, I'm currently a Virgin Media account holder and have been for many years. I guess hence I can log into https://www.virginmedia.com/myvmo2/home and look at bills, service status etc..

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill