cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked e-mail accounts

selwooi
Joining in

Good luck to everyone else experiencing this issue, namely e-mail accounts being blocked and being forced to reset using a third party e-mail address to regain access. It's even worse if you have more than one VM e-mail account as you need individual third party e-mails for each one. I have two accounts and spent around 3 hours on the phone this weekend trying to get the matter resolved. Eventually I can now see each account but have to log into them separately via a third party e-mail account - so that's now 4 different passwords I'm expected to remember. Plus if you want to access your e-mails via third party means such as Outlook or via a Tablet (or even a phone) you need another password to achieve this. Absolutely farcical situation which VM attune to better security - which says a worrying lot about their own security.

And finally I was sent a survey link to give feedback on my experience. The first question asked me to confirm that my call was related to a new product or service - well it wasn't so I answered 'No' at which point the survey closed itself because it was only for people who had recently contacted them! Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.

If it wasn't such a daunting prospect to switch provider (I also have TV & phone as well as Broadband) I would happily leave VM tomorrow. Better the devil you're with??

8 REPLIES 8

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, selwooi.
Thank you for taking the time to post on our help forums for the first time and welcome to the VM community.
Great to have you on board with us! 🙂

We're sorry to hear of all the issues faced recently to your email accounts and how you access those as we'e implemented some changes to enhance security, we'd love to best assist with these.

From what you explain above we understand you do not have issues with accessing your emails anymore, please do confirm in case you still get access errors or you're unable to view any emails so we can help out.

Also, we'd only ask to register a new email for MyVM in cases where the email used currently is no longer accepted by our systems (such as ntlworld emails) based on these changes.

We're sorry to see the inconvenience and upset this has caused, we'd advise that you can either access your email accounts here separately or via MyVM online under account settings>account details>Virgin Media mail.

Could you please tell us if you also have access to all the secondary email accounts you own from there?

Lastly, you can find more here on how to manage your accounts with us and set up a password for the client software/App used to access your mailbox.

Let us know if this is of help and if you still need further support with emails and passwords - we'll be eager to support you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ditto, keeps blocking my emails out, though i can receive and send from website but not desktop

carlsanders
On our wavelength

called virgin 150 but they are so slow and just left me hanging on the phone 22mins and counting, very diificult to understand the operator, not helpful and a dreadful service.

carlsanders
On our wavelength

just left me hanging!!!27 mins with dreadful music!

Hi @carlsanders,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you had some trouble with your email account and service recently. Has this been resolved since your call to the team, or do you need some further assistance?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

tiredmum888
Tuning in

I too am repeatedly blocked out of my email account, and this has been happening since September. I have had to reset the password 7 times, 3 of those times was in just one week. Each time I have to generate a brand new external gmail address to be used only to access my virginmedia emails. Today, my daughter's account was also blocked. She is travelling round Australia and all her travel tickets on her virginmedia account. There is a 12 hour time difference and she has no way to contact Virginmedia in the UK. Virginmedia - please stop with your excessive security parameters - people rely on their emails. I have missed theatre shows, I have had to incurr extra solicitors and accountancy fees to have things resent to third party addresses, because at each critical opportunity Virginmedia BLOCKS my email. It is insanely poor service. I know of no other provider that blocks their customers on a regular basis, and each time requires a brand new third party email address to re-establish access. Futhermore, on numerous occasions, you have not re-linked me to my own emails, you have re-linked me to someone elses private emails on virginmedia, who has a similar sounding name to mine. Surely that is a breach of data protection laws? It has happened 3 times now that I have been re-linked to a third party account and been able to see their private emails due to virginmedia blunders. 

tiredmum888
Tuning in

l will also add that each time I ring virginmedia on 150 there is a minimum 30 minute way to speak to a person, then I am usually put on hold for a further 30 minutes. There is a clear language barrier each time, and your operators are difficult to understand, and also struggle to fix the issue each time. This is a recurring issue, clearly not just for me, but for others too, and yet your operators have no idea this is happnening nor how to fix it. How many more gmail addresses will I have to generate until Virginmedia fix their unacceptably poor email service, and stop blocking their customers for no reason? Is this an indefinite problem, or are you aware and are actively adressing your faulty security measures to stop blocking people's accounts?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There really is only one way to stop these problems with Virginmedia emails, and that is to move to a different email provider. VM stopped issuing new email addresses two years ago, and the lack of support since then shows that they really can't be bothered to maintain the existing accounts.

There has been frequent speculation about whether VM is going to close their email service altogether, and although no official statement has been made, some users have reported on here that they have been told on the phone that it will be closed.

Moving to a separate email service also means you are not locked into one broadband provider if you need to change for any reason.

The easiest way to start the move to another email account is to set up an auto forward on your VM account so that all incoming mails are sent to the new account, and to reply to them from the new account. You will then be well on the way to being freed from all the difficulties you have been experiencing. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.