cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hub 3 (VM) and getting error messages on SKY Q saying there is no internet connection.

scarletp
Superfast

Hi,

Long time user of VM Hub 3 which has never been a problem.  We use 2 mobiles, laptop and SKY Q and have had no issues over the years until recently which concerns me. The hub is at the front of the house in a different room but this has never been an issue.  Both mobiles show as having 3 to 4 bars generally and the laptop is always full WIFI connection. 

Now my O/H tells me that he gets an error message on SKY Q that there is 'no internet connection'.  I will always go check my hub and it is lit up as usual.  We can still use most functions of SKY but some of his saved recordings have disappeared suddenly and also those that remain have an empty front picture of the film/show or the frame can take a long time to load (although selecting the empty frame does still allow us to watch it).  We are having to select programs by avoiding using the SKY Home button completely or the error message pops up. 

I have turned off the hub which has made no difference.  He has unplugged SKY with no success.  We also  reconnected to my VM via SKY settings but the problem remains.  

Any thoughts much appreciated as am at a loss what has happened and whether the issue is with SKY or VM.  

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If removing the VM DNS Servers has fixed the issue, then it points to an issue with VM’s DNS Servers? Other Public DNS Servers are available btw.  Personally I use a mix of Cloudflare, Quad 9 and Pi-Hole. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the only problem device is the Sky Q, I would suspect the Sky box.   Also get an ethernet cable and connect the Sky Q with the cable as a test.   If this faults are still apparent, then the box could be faulty.  If the box works without issue, it could be a weak Wifi signal, and you may need to look at getting a Wifi extender.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi,

Thank you for responding.  I found a possible solution via Google which directed me here.  The solution worked for me just now and all is restored.  I will hopefully paste the solution here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/VM-issue-with-Sky-Q/m-p/5399105#M559448

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If removing the VM DNS Servers has fixed the issue, then it points to an issue with VM’s DNS Servers? Other Public DNS Servers are available btw.  Personally I use a mix of Cloudflare, Quad 9 and Pi-Hole. 

Hi, 

Thank you but it's probably wise to leave well alone now as I am told all is back to normal.  I rarely touch anything SKY/TV related so not up to me to fiddle anymore if it's 'not broken'.  

Incidentally, someone else on the thread had mentioned "Use of a Public DNS bypasses the ( Enabled by default ) VM Child Safe a DNS content filter.

Good to have a easy to apply documented solution especially as the VM management page for Child Safe has been broken for months."