cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to move my house around but the cable fitted won't reach, can I buy my own extension cable?

MV20
On our wavelength

Hi. Getting a new couch soon that will need the living room re-arranging. Problem is, the cable fitted for the TV won't reach from the box, to where the TV will fit. I'm leaving all the cables as-is where they come into the wall, I only need to extend the lead that goes from the three-way splitter to the actual box under the TV.

Can I just buy my own cable online and use that or are they specific cable VM uses? If I have to get VM to do it, how much am I looking at? It's literally a 5m cable I need (even that is a little long) so don't fancy having to pay silly money to get it sorted.

If I can use my own, can someone link to a cable that would do the trick and/or any connectors to do the job.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Hi MV20,

Yes Virgin do use specific cable, there is a standard non-fault tech callout charge of £25 to get Virgin to do it but they will also check your signal levels and adjust them if required in the street cabinet after altering the cable.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

Hi MV20,

Yes Virgin do use specific cable, there is a standard non-fault tech callout charge of £25 to get Virgin to do it but they will also check your signal levels and adjust them if required in the street cabinet after altering the cable.

MV20
On our wavelength

So would that be £25 all in or possible other charges on top if the signal is no good?

roy247
Community elder

It covers everything.

MV20
On our wavelength

Nice one thanks, I'll give them a bell.

MV20
On our wavelength

Follow on to this, I received a cable from VM for free but it's the wrong one. The one they sent is the one that goes from the white box on the wall, into the small metal splitter, that then goes from there to the TV Box and the Router. What I actually needed was the cable that goes from the splitter to my TV Box, which has a coax connector on the end and not two of the screw on types the cable they sent has. Here's an image to show what I mean.

380562842_718830750267629_1437029534133893783_n.png
I think on the whole, it would be better for me to pay the £25 for an engineer to come and sort it so there's no more misunderstandings about what I need, however I can't get the live chat to work. Is there anyone here that can sort out an appointment for me from here? I don't fancy phoning them and staying on the line for ages.

Cheers.

Hi MV20,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see sent you the wrong cable. So I can take a few details from you I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me over private message MV20,

Glad I was able to help.

Alex_Rm