cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings Freezing on Playback on Both TV Boxes and Numerous Other Issues

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

As long-standing broadband and phone customers of VM, we recently expanded our services to include the VM 360 TV service last week. Our setup includes the primary box located in the lounge and a secondary one in the bedroom.

Starting from the second day post-installation, we've encountered multiple instances of freezing during playback of recorded content. I reached out to VM through their helpline (150) to report these issues, and three days later, I received a call back. During this call, we performed a factory reset on the primary box, which temporarily resolved the problem.

However, every recorded program I attempt to watch plays smoothly for approximately 30 minutes before freezing, followed by an error message indicating that the recording cannot be played. I've also noted various error codes during these occurrences.

There are times when the main box responds sluggishly, such as when opening the home screen or navigating through menu options. This sluggishness is present on both boxes.

Initially, we also faced difficulties with recording new content, receiving persistent notifications that storage was full despite only 1% usage.

The Diagnostics section on the main box indicates a strong wifi signal and no apparent connectivity issues.

This situation is incredibly frustrating, given that our installation was recent. I am now contemplating reverting to our former TV service provider due to these persistent problems.

Could anyone provide assistance with these technical issues? Is it possible that the box is defective? Thanks in advance for any help.20240314_081444.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be useful to confirm a small sample of the error codes you've experienced, although it does sound like a faulty master-box HDD.

VM staff respond on these boards, if you don't mind waiting a few days for it. Otherwise, call back in and ideally, don't terminate the call until your tech appointment has been booked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be useful to confirm a small sample of the error codes you've experienced, although it does sound like a faulty master-box HDD.

VM staff respond on these boards, if you don't mind waiting a few days for it. Otherwise, call back in and ideally, don't terminate the call until your tech appointment has been booked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

CS2200, CS2217.  Will add more as and when they pop up.  Many thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rowdyangel wrote:

Will add more as and when

Just be aware that this is primarily a user-community forum and staff tend to work from oldest posts - if you add too many short replies, it can have the opposite effect and your post may ultimately take longer for the staff team to notice.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @rowdyangel 

What happens if you pause and rewind live TV on the main 360 box (the one with the hard drive) as that is the same as recording?  If that causes problems then it does appear to confirm a hard drive problem.

Re the CS2217 (Tservice teemporarily unavailable) error, that generally occurs on the mini box.  Check the power settings on the main box. Go to Home > Settings > System > Standby Power Consumption. If it's on Eco (slow start) then change it to either Fast Start or Active Start.   The Fast and Active Start.options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it as it means the main box is able to respond to ther playback request when it's sent from the mini.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

Pausing live and rewinding seems to be fine. Both boxes are set to Fast Start.

Have just tried watching 3 different recordings and still having problems. Codes CS2217, CS2214 and CS2200. Also the main box completely froze when attempting to watch a recording with top part of screen not displaying properly. Ran diagnosed again and no issues with connectivity to hub.

I really think either our installation or equipment is goosed. Was only installed a week ago.

Kind regards

Jayne

Hi @rowdyangel 

Welcome back to the community forums.

Sorry to hear of the issues you're having with your recordings. I can see on the system that you have since been in touch with us and have an engineer booked to investigate this further. 

Please do keep us updated with how you get on and let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed 😊

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi,

just an update to say that the engineer, Craig, came out yesterday to look at the ongoing issue.  He swapped out our main box which, it turns out, what a re-conditioned box, with a brand new one.  He said that it was definitely a HD failure on the box.  

While he was here he checked everything else in regards to our installation, even spotting that our pod was not working so he did the necessary to get that up and running.

Craig understood that the issue with freezing on playing back recordings did not happen straight away so he asked me to make sure that I record something and watch it back fully and he said he will give me a courtesy call this evening to confirm that all is OK before he closes off the job.

Many thanks to all for input to my post.

Jayne.