cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Windows 11 your experience

Buffer6
Legend

So much talk about Windows 11, I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.

windows 11.jpg

It took just over an hour to make the changes. I had to download an updated bios for my motherboard, which made the necessary adjustments without having to go into the bios sections and manually adjust items, and you have to do that first or the bios won't pass the inspection and the Windows 11 won't install.

So I got it up and running.  Now checking it out, after clicking on the Windows Icon in the taskbar

Installed software wasn't showing anymore and no tiles on the desktop, luckily I had made shortcuts for the most used software in Windows 10, so they were showing on the desktop and taskbar after the installation.

I found it difficult to navigate around after being used to Windows 10, and a lot of the useful menu items were missing on right-click on an icon. The transparency effects no longer worked either.

I missed the weather and speedtest on tiles and the current temperature and state of weather on the taskbar.  I played around with Windows 11 for a few hours before deciding to switch back to Windows 10 😃

The only good thing that I found about it was that it seemed quicker when using Windows explorer.

So if you've tried it or are using it, what  are your views on it?

116 REPLIES 116

Windows 11 Upgrade Offered To Unsupported Hardware

Good old Microsoft causing confusion...

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

(KB5015882) cumulative update-failed.

windows 11

This update will not download or sticks at 25%

Tried troubleshoot, restarted and also switched off antivirus, nothing works, failed on two days.

Yet other updates did work today-

Hp printer driver -HP - Printer - 31.1.2001.9295

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.371.1535.0)

Update KB5015882 continuously fails installing - Microsoft Community

It should not be necessary to have to a repair install to solve the issue, I will just wait and see if it eventually updates?

One would think that Microsoft would ensure that the updates work?

I did sfc /scannow -

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Only 3gb space on laptop drive  so not sure if that is the issue?

alf28

(KB5015882) cumulative update-failed.

Did all the usual checks many on my system in admin but my acer laptop will not install this update.

I even tried to reset windows 11 and found that both the windows reset via cloud or the PC both failed meaning it can only be reset via a recovery drive.?

The Restore point also is not very good with no historic record of older restore points, just recent ones.

I even did a download of the update and tried a manual install but it fails every time.

I created more storage space by deleting old files and emptied the recycle bin, but that did not help, in fact the storage space reduced not increased?

Eventually microsoft may do a fix on this? - It may be a rebuild. Other updates have installed but sometimes repeat for some reason as if they have not installed, but (KB5015732) has installed and KB2267602 (Version 1.371.1648.0)

see-

Why do updates KB5013889 and KB5015882 continually fail to - Microsoft Community

Windows 11 update KB5015882 breaks Start Menu, fails to install for many users - WinCentral (thewinc...

I find windows 11 more difficult to manage and fault find than windows 10 or the older windows XP, nothing seems to work properly.

alf28

WINDOWS 11-UPDATES -SOLVED

The big updates failed, probably due to insufficient storage space, 20gb is advised.

I freed up space but still no joy, could not reset windows for the same reason.

I eventually solved this with a recovery from an external recovery drive, and the updates now downloaded.

Having to restore all my apps now, and my  files also lost, but I backed some up to a usb, just as well as one drive did not work as expected.

The laptop storage is not enough, only 57.1gb available and so easy to fill up, perhaps windows is larger now, my av and print software have already bumped up the used storage to 19gb with 38gb spare to use and if 20gb spare is needed then that only leaves 18gb to use.

alf28

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ALF28 

Have you thought about compressing your hard drive?

https://www.howtogeek.com/266472/should-you-use-windows-full-drive-compression-to-save-space/ 

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-file-compression-guide/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have you thought about compressing your hard drive?

Thanks for the info and the links which are useful.

I did have a go with this C drive compression a few days ago and it  increased the drive space available  slightly, but as my drive was almost full, it was still not enough, however I had not used the advanced options. I see that 17.5% could be achieved which would  equate to 10gb.

I will give drive compression another try when the drive starts to get full. Also I looked at extending the C drive using an external drive such as a usb pen but the option is greyed out on my laptop.

The downloads file was taking lots of space and can be cleaned out also to make more space, and also to empty the recycle bin.

The cheaper end laptops like my acer aspire 1 can come with little storage   (only 60 gb), and I do have  an optical disk drive, just an internal flash drive, my next purchase would be to choose one with lots of storage, I am not sure about the merits of other computers such as a chromebook, I have mainly used windows but do have an android tablet that is very slow.

Once I had recovered the computer which takes along time, it was like new one going very fast and downloaded all the windows updates in a few minutes- amazing, but I would advise always to make a windows recovery drive onto an  external 32gb  usb  pen stick.

I have most of my apps back on, and printers working now. There was something unusual happening with the updates and,  windows 11 can become corrupted, unstable or drive space storage issues, and I have similar issues in the past. 

Careful management of the storage space is needed so that at least 20gb is always spare.

alf28

Have you considered replacing the hard drive with one that has greater capacity? it's the most complicated option but the best. If you can't tackle it yourself there are shops that can do this.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Acer a114-32-c64y.

Thanks for the advice, the flash 64gb memory SSD is soldered onto  motherboard and appears not be upgradable, but I will check with my local PC shop.

I was sensible to pick 64gb rather than 32gb  back in 2019 which allowed the upgrade from windows 10 to 11, but new models have much bigger storage SSD of 128gb and up to 1Tb

The system memory is 4gb.

My older asus 2014 laptop  on windows 10 has a hard disk  320gb and optical disc drive and 4gb system memory., and although old is a much higher spec machine.

I suppose you only get what you pay for, when windows 10 ends in 2025 I will have to buy a new windows 11 machine but would not buy a cheap one with poor storage so would be looking for a higher specification probably costing £500+

I still use some DVD discs so have  to use an external optical disc drive, these are no longer put into laptops these days although I do have some flash usb pen storage and older external hard drives.

The free storage on cloud such as dropbox, one dive etc, google is limited unless you pay a monthly fee, so I have tended to fill up my computer which can cause issues.

alf28

windows 11 update

2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5016691)

Update for Windows Security platform - KB5007651 (Version 1.0.2207.20002)

Note - KB5016691 includes updates for ransomeware.-

Enhances Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s ability to identify and intercept ransomware and advanced attacks.

There has been recent  attacks on the NHS (111) and one of my online shopping catalogue website  that I use  was down for a while due to an intruder attack attempt with the new Hive ransomware. and although now working, it still has a few issues.

Windows 11 updates

The last update KB5016691 seemed to alter the settings in window security setting and flagged core isolation memory integrity had been switch off which prevents attacks of malicious code.

Also the system protection was switched off in system properties.

I switched them both back on and did a restore point.

Not sure how or why that happened.?