cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Windows 11 your experience

Buffer6
Legend

So much talk about Windows 11, I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.

windows 11.jpg

It took just over an hour to make the changes. I had to download an updated bios for my motherboard, which made the necessary adjustments without having to go into the bios sections and manually adjust items, and you have to do that first or the bios won't pass the inspection and the Windows 11 won't install.

So I got it up and running.  Now checking it out, after clicking on the Windows Icon in the taskbar

Installed software wasn't showing anymore and no tiles on the desktop, luckily I had made shortcuts for the most used software in Windows 10, so they were showing on the desktop and taskbar after the installation.

I found it difficult to navigate around after being used to Windows 10, and a lot of the useful menu items were missing on right-click on an icon. The transparency effects no longer worked either.

I missed the weather and speedtest on tiles and the current temperature and state of weather on the taskbar.  I played around with Windows 11 for a few hours before deciding to switch back to Windows 10 😃

The only good thing that I found about it was that it seemed quicker when using Windows explorer.

So if you've tried it or are using it, what  are your views on it?

116 REPLIES 116

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My attempts.

Firstly a tale of woe.

My processor AMD E2-7110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics isn't suitable for Windows 11 but I thought I'd try.

I downloaded Windows 11 onto a self booting USB drive. 

I amended the BIOS, enabling secure boot  and also enabled TPM.

I then set up a new partition on the hard drive so I could place W11 there.

I attempted to set up a dual boot for Windows 10 and 11.  I left my computer running the installation through the night and woke up next morning to find it wouldn't progress past a black screen.

After 2 hours I performed a hard reboot and was greeted with a screen saying the installation had failed and that my computer was being reset back to it's original state before the upgrade. This completed after about an hour, then I saw the dreaded blue screen of death and the monitor screen went black although the PC light remained on.

I've had a few problems with the monitor going black recently so I changed HDMI cables, no difference. I then attached the PC to the TV and saw my Windows 10 desktop.  Upon further checking the mains plug from the monitor was only halfway into the extension lead. Problem solved.

Better days ahead?

So this afternoon I decided to try the dual boot again. Only partially successful, I went wrong and Windows 11 overwrote Windows 10. Seems I missed the prompt to place W11 onto the new partition. However, I'll still be able to roll back to Windows 10 at anytime if needed, even though the documentation states you only have 10 days, or perform a new W10 install from a USB drive.

I've managed to move the task bar to the bottom left of the desktop, changed default browser to Chrome, and turned on the missing right click context menu options. It seems slower to boot up and also scrolling in Chrome has slowed on graphic intensive pages. All in all I haven't really tested it yet but no issues on this installation so far.

Since switching to W11 I've found a couple of useful links, especially this one for installing W11 on an unsupported pc and also instructions that I wish I'd seen earlier on how to   Dual boot W10 and W11 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

If anyone has managed to install W11 properly, could they do a search for CatRoot2 (its a folder).  If this is found it means (like W10) WU is broken out of the box.  I did this with XP.😑

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrHalfAsleep 

It looks like my W11 installed correctly as that folder doesn't exist on my PC.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

@MrHalfAsleep 

It looks like my W11 installed correctly as that folder doesn't exist on my PC.

So they've fixed it then!  Things are looking up.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Good to see you guys helping to debug a product I'll upgrade to in three years from now.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Windows uses the catroot flolder contents to update windows, it won't update properly without it

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/catroot-catroot2-folder-reset-windows 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-for-windows-10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catroot and Catroot2 Folders Explained in Windows 10

An interesting video on some differences between Windows 10 and 11

Windows 10 vs 11 | Features & Changes

Soooo ...

It's been a couple of weeks since the 'long-awaited' release of Windows 11, and here I am, still sitting on the proverbial fence, grimacing at the mass of splinters I'm getting while trying to make up my mind. Has anyone else risked the manual download route, and have you been impressed/disappointed?

Or are some of you waiting until the update available turns up in your Windows Updates?

This is still popping up on my updates page:

✔️ This PC can run Windows 11:

Great news - Your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you.

But our Ann says it could be mid-2022 before anything over 2 yrs old could be offered it via updates ...

Hmmm, to leap, or not to leap? 

🤔🤔🤔

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

garypjackson
On our wavelength

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is just one time consuming con. Fair enough if you like playing with PCs but I only use it for what I want, and I can't remember anything windows have done or offered since windows 7 that has been anything more than an interfering annoyance..

Using Virgin to stream live radio @ 160kbps

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I was looking forward to being able to run android apps on Windows 11 without having to use the bluestacks android emulator.

Windows Insiders in the beta channel, who have build 22000.282 or higher, can now set up Windows Subsystem for Android and install a select group of apps from the Amazon app store. 

The current problem is your PC's region must be set to USA and you also need to have a U.S based Amazon account to use the Amazon Appstore.

android-apps-on-windows-11-preview 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.