cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Windows 11 your experience

Buffer6
Legend

So much talk about Windows 11, I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.

windows 11.jpg

It took just over an hour to make the changes. I had to download an updated bios for my motherboard, which made the necessary adjustments without having to go into the bios sections and manually adjust items, and you have to do that first or the bios won't pass the inspection and the Windows 11 won't install.

So I got it up and running.  Now checking it out, after clicking on the Windows Icon in the taskbar

Installed software wasn't showing anymore and no tiles on the desktop, luckily I had made shortcuts for the most used software in Windows 10, so they were showing on the desktop and taskbar after the installation.

I found it difficult to navigate around after being used to Windows 10, and a lot of the useful menu items were missing on right-click on an icon. The transparency effects no longer worked either.

I missed the weather and speedtest on tiles and the current temperature and state of weather on the taskbar.  I played around with Windows 11 for a few hours before deciding to switch back to Windows 10 😃

The only good thing that I found about it was that it seemed quicker when using Windows explorer.

So if you've tried it or are using it, what  are your views on it?

116 REPLIES 116

If MS wants me to upgrade they'll need to do better as the PC health check is impossible to install - and I'm not the only one. Furthermore it's impossible to cancel and I have to end the task in Task Manager.

windows 11 health check.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I made the move to win 11 on my DNS server they have moved stuff around so you will play find the thing you know where it is in win 10 but not in win 11.

Overall it seems fast

My main PC X99 i7 5930K and HTPC P55 i7 860 are too old for win 11 but I'm looking forward to intel 12th gen CPU for win 11
---------------------------------------------------------------

@kriptikchicken ,

As you said, you have been using the Beta version, thus not the completed article. The Windows Update will go from new PC's etc to then offer the upgrade to everyone in order. So, if you have a laptop that is four years old, you're less likely to be offered the upgrade (through Microsoft official Updates) before someone who has the same item but is only four weeks old. (though even our Ann doubts this will be the case)

Yes, you, like anyone else, can download the Update before Microsoft offers it to you via Updates, but that's something you would have to make your own mind up on. They said the 'completed' Windows 11 would be available from the 5th for a reason I suppose, but hey-ho, each to their own.

@Roger_Gooner ,

Strange the PC Health Check didn't download, another hiccup for Microsoft no doubt 😒 

Edit: re PC Health Check. I ran it while replying & it worked fine, go figure lol.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Steve1701 wrote:

As you said, you have been using the Beta version, thus not the completed article. .

They said the 'completed' Windows 11 would be available from the 5th for a reason I suppose, but hey-ho, each to their own.

1. I downloaded the iso and it updated fine. In classic Microsoft style, when it installed, there was still an update available!

2. It IS the 5th! 😀

P.S. My laptop is only 1/2 a year old. 😉

Hey @kriptikchicken ,

Yes I saw you went for the iso with no issues, which makes me wonder about doing the upgrade now rather than waiting 😋

... And WOT ! ... So I've gone through today thinking it's the 4th ? ... DOH.

Cheers for helping me lose a day mate lol.

😂😕😂 

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Steve, it gets a little stranger... although the install went without a problem the build remains 22000.194

Hmmm.... the current dev build is 22471.1000 both allegedly released this week on the same day, but I have had 22000.194 for about 3 weeks?! Now I am even more confused!

🤔

Strange indeed ...

Seems there's a lot of head-scratching needed here, I got this half an hour ago:

✔️ This PC can run Windows 11:

Great news - Your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you.

Hmmmm, to download or not to download 🤔

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

My motherboard has a TPM header on it and a module costs about £25.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Well ...

I'm still on the proverbial fence.

After reading several reviews (including Windows blog) I'm still no closer to making a decision. I've been told that given Windows have already said my Laptop meets the requirements for the Upgrade, it's basically down to me - Be patient, or leap right in - It does seem to be the consensus that most PC's or laptops will be waiting a while:

Quote from Toms Guide:

All we know so far is that Microsoft will prioritize PCs based on factors such as how old they are and how compatible they are with Windows 11. It’s likely that most Windows users won’t have the option to upgrade until next year, given that Microsoft has set itself the goal of offering an upgrade to every compatible PC by mid-2022.

Soooo, do I wait, or take the aforementioned leap? 🤔🤔🤔

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

.My motherboard has a TPM header on it and a module costs about £25.

You also need other requirements as well as TMP for Windows 11  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications