cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV go app on an Android TV

Olly-Goose
Tuning in

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of installing the Virgin TV go app on an android tv?

I am considering buying an android tv to use in another room of the house instead of using an ipad to access my virgin tv. 

Can the app be iinstalled successfully and can you log in and use it?

Am I wasting my money on an android TV? 

Thanks for any help or advice given in advance.

Olly

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why would Virgin Media even consider this, unless you are willing to pay a MultiRoom charge for access to their services on a second TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Olly,

I've had an android TV in the past and the app wasn't available via the Playstore as it's only supposed to be used on mobiles and tablets. 

It didn't work using a browser either.

I did get round it though by searching for the apk and sideloading it. I then used a usb mouse attached to the TV for navigation purposes but it was very slow.

I had the same problems using an android X96 box.

You can sideload it onto a firestick, but also need to download and use mousetoggle to navigate. Not the best of control methods but it works.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Its disappointing that virgin haven't thought of or addressed this given android tv's are out there. 

I don't know anything about apk files or side loading can you point me to a web site where this is explained please?

Is this a secure and safe method of doing this?

Virgin, can you comment and discuss internally regarding making this method of viewing available.  We do pay heavily for the privilege of having pay tv.

Thanks for your reply mate 

Olly

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why would Virgin Media even consider this, unless you are willing to pay a MultiRoom charge for access to their services on a second TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I already have a second v6 box and pay a hefty fee for the services that I have.  I think its fair that when virgin apply annual increases that I should expect more in return. I do seen your point though.

I dont think that being able to run the TV go app on an android tv is much to ask for and no different to running it on a laptop or desktop.

I was asking the community if it was possible, thats all. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your posts and replies on our help forum Olly_Goose - A warm welcome from us in the community and a happy new year too 🙂

We're sorry to see of the issue with our TV Go App not working on an android TV potentially, we do aim to improve our apps and online services however our TV Go App is working on android phones and tablets at the minute and we cannot safely advise whether it would do the same on a Smart TV too.
Please, visit this link here for more on the TV Go service and the devices it is compatible with.

Do let us know if the above is of help and feel free to ask if you have more questions or concerns regarding this.
We're always happy to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your welcome. 

Your reply doesn't really help.  I just thought that a tv that was based on the android platform, had the google play store pre installed (and therefore the virgin tv app available via play store) would naturally be able to run the app as one of my 5 devices allowed within my Virgin media package. Has the virgin technical team tested that scenario and if not could it be tested and appropriate advice published please?

I understand the discussion around revenues gained via a multi room sale but I already have this.  Any comments?

Thanks 

Olly 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is unlikely you will get any technical discussion from VM that provides TV access via a “back door” process.

TV Go is specifically for use on portable devices. It is not just a revenue loser in that VM loses out on multi room subscriptions. It also has carriage agreement implications with regards the broadcasters that VM deals with. These agreements specify that access via a TV should be restricted to the address where the the account is held. So for obvious reasons VM are not going to publicise a way for you to break their agreements with the broadcasters, as TV Go can be used anywhere.

Just think yourself lucky that Android has a security hole that nobody has got round to plugging yet😀

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Because Ernie… It is 2023 and the technology is there to facilitate this. When I’m away from home, I take a Fire Stick so that I can still watch the services I am paying for? At home, I pay for multi room subscription. I don’t want a freebie? I, and others like me want some flexibility and portability of the services we are already paying our hard earned cash on. The year is 2023 …not 2003 and the technology is here! Your answer is obsurd.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

…. and, had you read the thread, @JonBx , you would understand that it’s not a technology issue.