cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TVGO Device Reset

Afterburner
Joining in

Why do I keep getting the device reset error? I am using the same device. I am trying to use the online chat but the link does not work. I see the device reset issue is a constant problem for people using TVGO. It is so frustrating that you cannot seem to fix this.

5 REPLIES 5

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Afterburner 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your TVGO devices 

What error are you seeing exactly? If the issue is that it's asking you to register each time you log in with the same device, then you'll need to ensure that your cookies are being saved as when they are deleted/removed it will register your device as new each time you log in. 

You can find out more information on the TVGO app and how to use it here

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley, thanks for the reply. Apparently I can add a new device tomorrow.

My continuous issue is that I mainly use Google Chrome as my browser. I log in on Google Chrome and it works fine. Next time I log in it throws up an error and I cannot watch. So I delete the cache and it allows me to watch again.

To get around this, I have tried using Microsoft edge, which you have to admit is awful browser and bing is a dreadful search engine. Despite having registered the exact same device again with Microsoft edge, it still throws up the maximum devices error. 

The issue is that TVGO cannot distinguish the difference between a device and a browser and cannot also remember that I have logged on the same device with the same browser.

Surely this should be an easy fix, as every device has its own IP address. If the IP address is a static IP then this should be the same evry time. If the IP address is dynamic and assigned by the router, then surely the Mac address should be used to identify that the device is the same device, since a Mac address is unique to every device, no 2 devices will have the same Mac address.

It is really frustrating that this problem has gone on for years and still not been fixed.

Reading through the forums, the only way to fix this is to get someone at virgin to reset the device list. This is easier said than done when the links on Virgin's website are broken. I manage to get through to chat via an alternative link directly through Google yesterday and shut the chat down after 2 hours as I had missed the football game I wanted to watch at my son's house.

Just a thought, when I view registered devices, it may help if I could view the IP address that was assigned, then at least I could test if I changed my device IP to match what was registered previously, then would this work?

Thanks for getting back to us Afterburner,

Just to confirm, have you tried setting your browser to not delete cache/ cookies? 

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Google Chrome does not delete cache or cookies upon exiting the session. Microsoft edge does, and I have now set microsoft edge to "do not delete".

As previously mentioned, my primary browser is google chrome, after all, it is the worlds most popular browser and search engine. I can log in and register my device on chrome, yet the next time I log into TVGO via google chrome, I cannot watch. So then I HAVE TO delete the cache and cookies to enable me to watch TVGO on the registered device, using the browser I registered with. Surely a device's MAC address should be proof that I am using the same device? As mentioned previously, I get that IP addresses are in most cases, dynamically assigned by my the router. This problem has been going on for years though and Virgin cannot or will not solve the problem. Virgin just keep on taking the money and hiking the prices. I am very close to jumping ship and going with a different provider, after all the years I have stuck with Virgin. I signed up with you around year 2000/2001 and for the amount I pay, this is not acceptable. I know it is not your fault Alex, but it seems like the forum team are not reading what people are already explaining. An example being, a previous person to post, clearly explained the same issue as me, and listed the devices and browsers, only for a member of the forum team to ask them to provide details of their devices and browsers. That person replied to that thread that he had already provided the info so what else do you need? Please just sort the problem.

Many thanks

I am so sorry that this has continued @Afterburner and I understand the frustration, though we may sometimes miss something in a thread and ask a repeat question here and there I can assure you our team are doing all they can to help when this issue is occurring. We are required to ask questions so we can get a full picture of the fault and pass this on to our IT teams to investigate where necessary. 

I understand Chrome does not automatically clear cache etc but can you confirm that you have not done this manually either? 

Also I can see if you previous post you mentioned you should be able to add a new device the next day, were you able to at all or has the devices full issue continued?