cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent signal in my area causing very high latency

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I've recently had a Virgin Media engineer over. He replaced my coaxial cables, isolator, downstairs connections and said that my downstream levels were back to normal again. All was excellent for about 3 days, and now things seem to have gone back to bad.

My ping is back to being extremely inconsistent after this has been an on/off issue for months. Tools like Netmeters' show an average of 16-32ms ping with a mostly flat line, then out of nowhere, 9200ms or the test stops entirely.

This has heavily impacted my sons' ability to online play, and I see the effects of it when joining any university Zoom call / making VOIP calls through Viber as the call quality can go from excellent to completely horrible within the same minute.

Status checkers provide me with very conflicting information.

At first I'm presented with the all-green "We don't see any issues affecting CF11 6JA."
But when I go to test my hub, it says: "Looks like there are issues in your postcode affecting your services."

I have tried calling the 0800 561 0061 number as advised by a lot of people on this forum, but it always says the exact same thing, word-for-word: "We're sorry that you're still having intermittent problems with your Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone services in the CF11 6JA area. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. However, as this is a really complex issue, it's taking us a little longer than usual."

I don't see this as very reliable, as I called this number before my engineer visit and it repeated the same set of words. 1 month, 2 months, 6 months before, always the same/a very similar set of words being repeated.

The cabinet outside of my house does look a bit rough. The doors aren't swung open and the condition looks OK, but I remember a point in time where it was duct taped shut to keep them from opening.

Please advise on whether this is an issue with my side, an issue with my area and possible steps for resolution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WorstISP
Up to speed

Virgin Media don't try to fix anything until you escalate a formal complaint to the Ombudsman, so I advise you start the complaints process now and use the next 8 weeks to collect evidence.

Complaint process: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

Complain to OfCom too (They won't intervene, but it goes into their figures for shaming the worst ISPs)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

setup a BQM

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband

---------------------------------------------------------------

WorstISP
Up to speed

Virgin Media don't try to fix anything until you escalate a formal complaint to the Ombudsman, so I advise you start the complaints process now and use the next 8 weeks to collect evidence.

Complaint process: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

Complain to OfCom too (They won't intervene, but it goes into their figures for shaming the worst ISPs)