cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GBps Fibre dropped to 1Mbps

MFCamisado
Joining in

So my internet dropped from 1GBps to 1Mbps literally out of nowhere, called virgin and they said they can see I'm not getting the speed I'm paying for but said they can't send someone to come fix it for over 2 weeks? Has this happend similar to anyone else? Is there anything else I could try to fix it? The girl on the phone was nice but she only really had me reset my router and standard bits like that

6 REPLIES 6

Cardiffman282
Super solver

If the "girl" said a fortnight for an engineer then I am assuming a wider fault as VM normally only takes 2-3 days. You can check this by calling 0800 561 0061. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

MatReeve75
Joining in

Hi, I also have 1GB broadband and have seen a drop to 1MB today for the first time.  I cannot seem to get above 150 MB at present.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MFCamisado,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've been getting some slow speeds, if we've determined that an engineer is needed then it's likely there is nothing further we can do at the moment. 

We would advise to wait until the engineer visit, if you're still having problems after the visit please let us know.

Alex_Rm

Hi MatReeve75,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're also having some connection issues. I've had a look at things from our side, and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect. 

Can you confirm if you've tried a hub reset?

Is this problem over a wired or wireless connection?

Alex_Rm

WorstISP
Up to speed

Hi MFCamisado, get out your contract and check the terms on "Minimum Guarunteed Speed", and refer to OfCom (See: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c... )

What you need to do right now is start taking speed tests using https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ (Tests speed to router rather than just the PC so you can have stronger proof on it being Virgin's fault). Do this via ethernet as well as wifi because the Comms Ombudsman will accept lies by Virgin Media when they claim everything is a Wifi issue (even when the test clearly shows speed to the router).

Secondly, open an **official** complaint to Virgin using this webform: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

Be specific and factual that this is an issue with download speeds to the router regularly dropping below 1Mbps, and that you have tested this using SamKnows to confirm that this is the speed to the Hub, and not due to a local network fault.

You need to have several days of consecutive proof (3 days minimum) to prove that Virgin Media have broken your contract.

I will wager to you that after 2 months after your initial complaint, Virgin Media won't fix anything but will refer you to the Communications Ombudsman, which is where you will be able to submit your proof.

Now this is important, when you get to this stage you need to make the Comms Ombudsman's job as easy as possible, because they generally side with the ISPs. To make their job easy you should have all your evidence laid out nicely with times and dates marked beside every screenshot of the speed tests.

In your actual statement/complaint to the Ombudsman you need to cite the OfCom scheme https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c... and specify that the speed has dropped below the minimum guarunteed speed for 3+ consecutive days.

If they do not uphold this complaint, you should escalate/challenge it for review by OfCom because this is quite a clear-cut violation.

Virgin **will** claim some bollox about "advertised speed is a maximum there is no speed guaruntee", but your contract does in fact specify a minimum guaranteed speed which Virgin have signed up to voluntarily. If the Ombudmsan doesn't uphold it and claims something about intermittant faults not being covered, you should escalate and complain to OfCom.

People are sometimes confused into thinking the Comms Ombudsman is a government body or a regulator, when it is in fact actually a private company that ISPs like Virgin Media pay to act as a sort of escalated complaint handling department. This exists to avoid real regulation by OfCom, so you may need to escalate to OfCom if they don't take your side on a clear breach of contract.

Hi Mat, see my comment, you need to make an official complaint to Virgin and start collecting evidence for when you escalate to the Comms Ombudsman (and later OfCom if they don't uphold the complaint with a refund for the month).