cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partner engineer visit

VivP
Joining in

As I have not used Virgin before a partner engineer will need to visit to install the fibre to my house. Does Virgin tell customers when this engineer will be calling as I would like to be at home when he/she comes to install the line.

Thanks.

35 REPLIES 35

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Be careful to avoid any confusion over the 'engineer visit'. This is usually for the internal installation, and not the outside cable work that you said you were hoping to be notified about. That work will have had to be done before the 'engineer visit'. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sorry jpeg1, I guess that Alessandro Volta is the man after whom the volt is named. I was careful to clarify that the internal work is still on the 29th, so this visit is for the cable to be installed to the house.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do report back how it goes. 

Last year an unfortunate customer with no service was promised an engineer visit on Christmas Day.  It didn't happen, of course. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Perhaps the customer forgot to tell Santa what he/she wanted.

Hello again VivP.

I am still here and will be on shift on the 29th to keep an eye on the installation for you.

Gareth_L

Thank you Gareth. Virgin texted me to say that the preparatory work would be done this afternoon between 1 and 6pm. I replied to say that I wanted to change that as I would not be at home, and after a phone call lasting just over 10 minutes the chap I spoke to rearranged the booking for this coming Friday afternoon.

While I was driving someone rang my doorbell. When I looked at the video later I saw an Avonline van parked outside and two people dug a trench to install the cable to my house.

I wonder what is the point of me rearranging the appointment and Avonline coming a couple of hours before the appointment I had said that I wanted to rearrange. Surely these days it is not difficult to get two companies to work together and keep to appointments.

I suppose that I should stay at home all day on the 29th in case the engineer comes earlier than 1pm.

This does not give a good impression of Virgin.

VivP
Joining in

Well I received a text this morning saying that someone would call on Friday 22nd. I presume that this is supposed to be the pre-install work to get the cable to my house. As this was completed yesterday this is a bit farcical.

Just over 2 hours later I get another text offering me an install date on the 21st or 22nd, would I text yes to reschedule, which I did. A few minutes later I get another text asking which of the 2 dates I would like so I text the 22nd and get a reply that they will check if that is available.

So why offer me a date if they do not know if it is available? I am still waiting to find out over 30 minutes later.

If Virgin is trying to give the impression that they lack competence then they are succeeding admirably.

And I forgot, when I check my account it is still showing that the pre-install work will be completed by the 28th. Presumably Avonline have not informed Virgin that they have done this.

Joined up does not apply to this relationship between Virgin and Avonline.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is no relationship as such. VM issues a cable job to a contractor, and waits to be informed when it has been done. Further communications would cost staff time, and is therefore avoided. It's all about the money.

You are in fact very fortunate in that your installation seems to be proceeding without the delays that many customers have had to endure. I do hope that continues for you. 

- jpeg1

Thanks jpeg1,

I see that Avonline have still not told Virgin that they have completed the pre-install work, but at least my account shows that the install date is now this Friday. That means it should be completed before I tell BT I am not renewing my contract.

Thanks again Gareth,

My install date has now been moved to this Friday afternoon.