cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partner engineer visit

VivP
Joining in

As I have not used Virgin before a partner engineer will need to visit to install the fibre to my house. Does Virgin tell customers when this engineer will be calling as I would like to be at home when he/she comes to install the line.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you read some of the threads here, there seems to be disconnects between VM and the 3rd Party installers.  You may get lucky and get the full install dates, but on the other hand, you may not.  It seems to be a bit of a lottery IMHO.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

35 REPLIES 35

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you read some of the threads here, there seems to be disconnects between VM and the 3rd Party installers.  You may get lucky and get the full install dates, but on the other hand, you may not.  It seems to be a bit of a lottery IMHO.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

VivP
Joining in

Thanks for letting me know. It seems a bit pointless for Virgin saying that you don't have to be home when the 3rd party installer comes, but you can if you want if you are not told when this engineer will turn up.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's easier for the installer if you're not there, for the very same reason why you do want to be there. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Why is it easier for the installer if I am not there. All I want is to have a say regarding the positioning of the terminal box, and to find out where he/she wants to dig the trench from the road to the house. After all, it is my house so I should be consulted.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Because he won't be bothered by you saying how you want it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It all boils down to the Contractor on the day.  Some are good, some not so.  There are threads here where cables have been nailed along fences, left lying with no conduit, but also some good reports.  The guys that did my cable repull did what I requested, but IMHO they could have buried it a bit deeper.

If you really want a good job, then if you know where the cable will be exiting the pavement, you can put the conduit where you want it.  Mains water plastic pipe is a great conduit, about 50mm and very tough.  Put a pull rope in place and you should be good to go.

I am not interested in what the contractor wants, I am the customer.

Thanks, but I will have to leave it to them. I am not going to guess where the cable will exit the pavement and then dig a trench to bury pipe which I will have to buy.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@VivP wrote:

I am not interested in what the contractor wants, I am the customer.

Of course you are, but you must understand that Virginmedia's business practice puts its own priorities first.

- jpeg1