cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation to block of flats

simcor
Tuning in

I live in a block of 18 flats built in 2006.

We can only currently get slow fibre services, the best speed I can get currently is 36mbps as it uses old cabling init the properties and no sign of roll out by open reach to upgrade to full fibre. 

Nextfibre were doing works up the main road last year and Virgin now says broadband is available in my area with my postcode. 

I have spoken to the management company that look after the buildings and they have stated no issues with having fibre installed, even if it means digging up the tarmac or grassed areas to lay cabling.

Having spoken to an advisor they want me to place an order to arrange a site visit to see if they can install broadband to the the flats, they can't tell me if it is possible without me placing an order and a engineer visit. It seems crazy to me that I have to place an order just to find out if the van do the work, and then if they can't the order will need to be cancelled. 

I don't get why they can't do a site visit to the property and canvass the 18 properties for business, they have rolled out the full fibre on the area and seem interested in giving an answers. 

As the speeds are still low being a rural area they could have monopoly now over all 18 flats if they so desired. I'm certain most would take up the chance of much higher speeds than we have ever been able to get. 

I have lived here for over 16 years and nothing has ever been upgraded in the area in all that time, so was surprised when I found out it was nexfibre doing fibre works. I have just bought my flat in Dec so would welcome better speeds especially for streaming content.

But I also have heard of many horror stories with VM  So I am really undecided to risk going with them. 

Any advise greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

I already have permission from the management company to have it done. That would take simple phonecall to them or me to forward the email response from the management company. 

Lucky I'm ground floor then 🤣

simcor
Tuning in

The state agents that run the management company said he would expect them to look at providing the service to all the flats. But again I can't make them do that but at least the start of the infrastructure could be there for other flats dependant on how they would do it, either overground from the nearest telegraph pole or via underground ducting I guess. 

simcor
Tuning in

Having said all of that VM can't even get their own website to work properly. The other day putting my postcode in and flat number it says it's available, now we are back sorry its not available yet but we are on our way. Make your minds up VM. 

simcor
Tuning in

Guessing here that I've jumped the gun a little.

After the new fibre runs I assume there will then need to be some new cabinets installed as well? 

Any idea how long after the initial fibre works the cabinet work happens?