cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation to block of flats

simcor
Tuning in

I live in a block of 18 flats built in 2006.

We can only currently get slow fibre services, the best speed I can get currently is 36mbps as it uses old cabling init the properties and no sign of roll out by open reach to upgrade to full fibre. 

Nextfibre were doing works up the main road last year and Virgin now says broadband is available in my area with my postcode. 

I have spoken to the management company that look after the buildings and they have stated no issues with having fibre installed, even if it means digging up the tarmac or grassed areas to lay cabling.

Having spoken to an advisor they want me to place an order to arrange a site visit to see if they can install broadband to the the flats, they can't tell me if it is possible without me placing an order and a engineer visit. It seems crazy to me that I have to place an order just to find out if the van do the work, and then if they can't the order will need to be cancelled. 

I don't get why they can't do a site visit to the property and canvass the 18 properties for business, they have rolled out the full fibre on the area and seem interested in giving an answers. 

As the speeds are still low being a rural area they could have monopoly now over all 18 flats if they so desired. I'm certain most would take up the chance of much higher speeds than we have ever been able to get. 

I have lived here for over 16 years and nothing has ever been upgraded in the area in all that time, so was surprised when I found out it was nexfibre doing fibre works. I have just bought my flat in Dec so would welcome better speeds especially for streaming content.

But I also have heard of many horror stories with VM  So I am really undecided to risk going with them. 

Any advise greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

simcor
Tuning in

I should also add I work nights and reading on here shows lots of delays with doing new installs and little or no communication from VM even with install dates being cancelled just before it's due to start on the day to even after the day it was supposed to start. So also I worry about booking time off work while any noisy work is going on and being messed around. 

It is a shame that companies are so readily happily to take your money but provide next to no service or guarantees. 

Like I also said previously it's now in the area yet not one canvasser has been round that I know of trying to get people to switch. 

I suppose like everything the main cable works has been funded by grants to meet government criteria of rolling out faster speeds to more rural areas.

Tbh I'm rapidly talking myself our of the idea and sticking with Sky who I've been with for the full 16 years, they are far from perfect as I well know but generally it works most of the time and I don't have many issues with sky, in fact I can't remember the last time I lost internet for more than a few minutes or hours at a time. 

I have considered a 4g home hub as well as my phone can often hit much higher speeds than my sky fibre, but again this is limted by so many factors, the least of which I doubt a 5g roll out in my area will be any time sood. I can sometimes connect to 5g on 3 outside the flat but not all the time. 

IMG_20240106_100056.jpg

Sky fibre speed result above. 

IMG_20240106_100038.jpg

4G on 3 but also can be as low as 25mbps and very inconsistent as you'd expect from 4G. I've even seen speeds much higher than that at times. But the fluctuation is what really puts me off using a 4G Home hub.  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If there is a VM cable passing your block there is just a possibility of getting a connection, otherwise it is unlikely that VM will be interested.  However unless they have plans for a major expansion in the area it is very likely that the local network is running at or near full capacity. They certainly wouldn't be able to connect a large number of flats. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for the reply. 

As I stated though the fibre works were onLY completed a couple of months ago max, sept time IIRC. It is also only this week or says fibre from VM is available, I have been checking every so often and it used to say sorry we are not available in your area. 

So I doubt capacity on the network is an issue yet and for some time as it is a completely new roll out here, never been available before and I think it's the new XGS-PON system, not sure whether that means it will nee underground works or overground as have read it might be over ground via telegraph pole work. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If it's a new XGS-PON system then they will have sufficient capacity. It will most likely be be overhead from the nearest pole, but VM's contractors will need to feed that pole through ducts from their own network. So you do have a chance of a connection but you will be waiting for the local work which will be more than just a cable from the pole. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Interesting as not having ground works could well be an interesting proposition. Having checked on Google maps as far as I can tell though there is no overhead words from the nearest pole to either block of flats so all the current infrastructure must be underground ducting. So that possibly raises more questions than it answers 🤔

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes it will depend on whether that existing Openreach duct and the street ducts leading to it have capacity to carry the VM feed. 

- jpeg1

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What holds up a lot of MDU installations within reach of the VM network is VM not getting permission from the landlord to do the work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When installing in flats, VM will not work outside above the first floor. They will need to run new cables internally. 

- jpeg1