cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My hub 3 constantly in solid red light

superseata
Tuning in

In May, I started using Virgin broadband services. First time installed my hub3 has been showing an orange light continuously till now,  but suddenly this week, it turned red. I checked online and it said it might be due to overheating, but my device is only slightly warm. Also, the internet keeps going on and off. So, I contacted customer service, waited for two days, and finally got a response. They said there was no issue with the speed at the time but didn't explain the reason for the red light. However, today, the internet is unstable again, and it's really affecting my ability to work from home. is anyone can help with this issue. Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @superseata,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having some connection issues and that your Hub 3 is displaying a constant red light. If you haven't done so already, please follow these steps.

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If the issue remains after following the above then please respond to the private message that I'll be sending to you shortly and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

TableTop
Up to speed

Over time LEDs age and what happens is that although they start off white, they tend to look more and more orange and eventually red (basically the blue component fails first). So although technically a red LED is a sign of overheating, it’s actually more likely that the LED itself is just old and tired.

However this can’t be ignored because if at some point in the future the hub were to overheat, then you would have no warning of this. If, after going through the reboot check, (I suspect you already have done this), followed by a full factory reset ( bent paperclip in the reset hole and hold it in for a good 40 seconds), it’s still red, then yes it does absolutely need to be swopped out as it is now potentially dangerous at some point in the future.

Now the colour of the LED has no connection whatsoever with the hubs operational performance, normally we would ask you to log into the hubs web interface and post the power levels, status, logs etc. But as it appears that the hub does need swopping out via a tech visit, there seems to be little point.

Thanks for your valuable advise here, sounds like you had the exact same  experience that I’m having . Why can’t virgin just simply replace our hub and keep on suspecting a network fault . Anyway there is a technician arranged for visiting , let’s wait and see where the actual problem occurred .

Hi @superseata thanks for the update.

Please can you confirm to us how the technician visit went?  I am guessing with a constant red light, if the pinhole reset of the hub has failed, the tech will have replaced the hub?

Regards

Lee_R

Technician just replaced a new hub for me in today. 

We're glad to hear that is all sorted for you.

^Martin