cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t Install due to Roof

RebeccaR24
Joining in

I was so excited to have signed up to Virgin for my new house (rented) and this morning I was told they can’t install so have cancelled my account. The reason given is “The team advised "Pitch roof extension no way of getting minimum height as per Open reach Spec. Not allowed on any roofs as per H&S Install".

This is a rented property that I’m not living in yet but I know they must’ve tried to install from the back of the house as the front is terraced and there’d be no obstruction.

Is there a way around this? The lady I texted with wasn’t very helpful. I was so excited for Virgin as nothing else comes close.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is there any Openreach ducting or poles at the front of the house? If there isn't you are unlikely to get anywhere.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It should also be possible if you can pre-install a "pull-rope" over the flat roof that the installers can use to pull the coax/fibre  cable over the roof.  Then must have easy access to the rear and front parts of the property to tack the cable to walls - at or below first floor level - from where the VM cables emerge to where you want them to come inside.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Cables are no longer run over roofs.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

John, the issue is with the clearance of the cable between Openreach pole and the property. It has to keep a minimum clearance from the ground until it reaches the property and it sounds like that's not feasible. Unless there's an Openreach pole or duct at the front of the house they're kinda stuck. 

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Maybe. See if you can get a spotter around to go a survey. Might be an alternative route to reach the property or somewhere they can reach from the back that's at the required height.